• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does anyone have an opinion about the new 2017 Nissan Armada?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have been looking for a family hauler/boat tow machine for a while. Ideally I would like a diesel with a 3rd row, kind of a unicorn in the non-luxury class.

This all new Armada grabbed my attention as it is basically an Infinity QX80, a Nissan Patrol-lineage SUV, but in a working man's package. Not sure about the soon-to-be-available diesel, as it is the 5.0 Cummins also used in Titan XD. The updated gas 5.6 V8 (made in Tennessee) may be the way to go?

Curious if anyone here has looked at those models, yet.

--

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@justason has the Titan with the diesel and seems to really like it, hopefully he will chime in.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi @Andy S @swatski

I don't know anything about the NEW armada's, but past generations pathfinders (and armada's?) had an issue with coolant leaking into the transmission, I believe that's been resolved: http://www.nissanproblems.com/trends/coolant-leaks-destroy-transmission/ if you start looking used BE CAREFUL.

I own 4 Nissan vehicles and can only criticize the new Titan XD, and only on one subject point:
The cummins 5.0 diesel : I am really really really disappointed in the fuel economies ! They've basically taken a diesel power house and neutered it to behave like a gas engine. Could be the 6 speed transmission or the need for the hippie juice, I'm still debating. A diesel engine is typically a 4-5K upcharge I believe....to that point I still like it over a gas engine.

The vehicle itself is beautiful, rides like a dream, comfortable, spacious, trimmed out nicely and the configurations are limited so it makes selection easy. The rear seats do not lack for space for anyone or anything and the bed is a good size

my past 10 years were in a cummins 5.9L and it was pure gold. Maybe I need to stop making the comparison. I have no idea on the economies of the gas engine but I'm sure they are worse.
The tow to Charleston next month will be my first event to gauge this machine....stay tuned.

little off point , but Hope it helped

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@justason Thank you, that is a great review, very helpful. One of the reasons why I was asking, the mpg figures for that diesel engine looking curious, those are kind of like gas engine mpg...

Looking forward to hear about your towing experience!

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@justason, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

@swatski, have you looked at the GM SUVs with 6.2s in them? My experience is that the 6.2 has plenty of torque to tow our boats well. I have towed over 13,000 pounds with mine several times. Although that might explain need for the transmission replacement.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@justason, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
Still evaluating, but it's looking like 20 highway when I behave myself 60/65mph. and city/commute is about 15 (rounding up). I haven't done anything over an hour long so far, and haven't towed. I have about 5K miles on it......cant imagine the engine breaking in will change that much. all this MPG is via the computer, I haven't math'd it out yet for real numbers. (too scared).....all my driving is FLAT terrain in central NC

my 5.9 mega cab was 25 highway, 19 city, 17 towing.....and never downshifted.....IT>>>JUST>>>RAN>>>> this thing is always looking for the right gear to be in..

maybe I'm being unfair. my last truck was a hardcore tool...this thing is just too fancy pants eco friendly tree hugging

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have been looking for a family hauler/boat tow machine for a while. Ideally I would like a diesel with a 3rd row, kind of a unicorn in the non-luxury class.

This all new Armada grabbed my attention as it is basically an Infinity QX80, a Nissan Patrol-lineage SUV, but in a working man's package. Not sure about the soon-to-be-available diesel, as it is the 5.0 Cummins also used in Titan XD. The updated gas 5.6 V8 (made in Tennessee) may be the way to go?

Curious if anyone here has looked at those models, yet.

--
I would buy a Toyota Sequoia over a Nissan Armada, in my experience Toyota's hold a much better resale value and they are very durable vehicles.

Toyota 381 Hp & 401 Torque, 7400 Lb 2wd, 7100 Lb 4wd Towing Capacity, 26 Gallon Fuel Tank

Nissan 317 Hp & 385 Torque, 8200 Lb 2wd, 6500 Lb 4wd Towing Capacity, 28 Gallon Fuel Tank

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would buy a Toyota Sequoia over a Nissan Armada, in my experience Toyota's hold a much better resale value and they are very durable vehicles.

Toyota 381 Hp & 401 Torque, 7400 Lb 2wd, 7100 Lb 4wd Towing Capacity, 26 Gallon Fuel Tank

Nissan 317 Hp & 385 Torque, 8200 Lb 2wd, 6500 Lb 4wd Towing Capacity, 28 Gallon Fuel Tank
Totally agree, we almost purchased a Sequoia. More than once, actually, come to think of it.

The numbers for the 2017 Armada have changed dramatically, and the engine internals are MUCH improved, from what I can find. That's the only reason I would consider it over Sequoia.

Still, I would really want diesel. An ecodiesel would be a no-brainer, if one wants a Ram truck of GC... But I do, unfortunately, need 3rd row...

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Totally agree, we almost purchased a Sequoia. More than once, actually, come to think of it.

The numbers for the 2017 Armada have changed dramatically, and the engine internals are MUCH improved, from what I can find. That's the only reason I would consider it over Sequoia.

Still, I would really want diesel. An ecodiesel would be a no-brainer, if one wants a Ram truck of GC... But I do, unfortunately, need 3rd row...
The 5.7 in the Sequoia is the same engine as the Tundra, I have a buddy that has 250K on his Tundra with the 5.7 - I have owned three Nissans over the years Maxima, Frontier, 370Z, not a fan of them at all compared to the Toyota's we have owned such as two Tundra's, FJ Cruiser, Camry, Tacoma's - they were all well built vehicles, never a problem with any of them. Maxima & Frontier both sucked after 50K miles, the 370Z I only kept for a year and it was fine.

Do you need the 3rd row due to the size of your family?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have three kids, they are all grown up and out of the house. We had a 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 while the kids were home, it was a great all around tow rig for our previous Yamaha SX230, hauled the 5 of us, plus the kids friends. Traded it in on 2012 Tundra, had over 130K miles on the Expedition, only had two problems, a window switch and had to replace on coil pack.

I love Diesels and that's all I will ever own in the future, unless I get another Corvette or Sports Car to play around with - but for daily driving and towing, diesels cannot be beat.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2012 Nissan Armada 4x4. We love it. Tows the AR240 wonderfully... it's very large/comfortable and fits a ton of stuff (or people with the third row seats). Dealer said it has a 9100lb towing capacity (that seems a bit high...)

Regardless, I really like the looks of the new one too... might have to trade up soon :D