• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dogs hit with skunk!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2 dogs were both sprayed by a skunk a few nights ago. One is a 20lb. short haired mix named Oliver, the other is a long hair dachshund about 15 lbs. named Rusty. We bought some stuff from Pet Smart that is for getting skunk out of the dogs coat. It worked pretty well on the short haired dog, but the dachshund still stinks.

I have heard other remedies like wash them with tomato juice and another that said to mix hydrogen peroxide with backing soda. I'm thinking I may need to just shave the dachshund and wash him again with the skunk out stuff.

Any suggestions for PROVEN remedies??

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We had three Siberian huskies get sprayed at point blank range a few years ago. Triple Tomato juice baths and time were the only things that got the stink out and they still stunk every time they got the slightest bit wet. I would also try vinegar.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a great homemade cocktail that works. Did not even think about getting it to the other night when I was talking to you. I am at work and the recipe is at home. Will sent it to you this afternoon.

marc7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had this happen to our dachshund years ago...Did the tomato juice baths...Still had the stink...Then realized that the collar was still holding the stink...Replaced her collar and all was good again.

Cheers!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our mini dachshund (short haired) got skunked a few years ago. We ended up coating him with ketchup and rubbing it in per our neighbor's advice and it worked perfectly on the first try.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry @BigN8 forgot to send this yesterday. Just in case you have not got all the smell out, here is recipe for de-skunking your dogs:
  • One box of baking soda
  • One bottle of hydrogen peroxide
  • Dawn dish washing soap
Mix it all up in 1 gallon of warm water. Never had and exact amount to use for the Dawn. I usually put in about 1/2 cup. Put on the dog until fully covered and let it sit for a few minutes then rinse off. Had to use this twice and worked beautifully both times. Wish I could have used on the inside of the house...bad couple of weeks.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I think I've got it knocked out. Shaving the dog was a big help. After a close shave and ear trimming I bathed him again with the skunk remover, let him dry out in the Sun without rinsing for about 30 minutes, then washed him with the hydrogenperoxide, backing soda mix, then with normal shampoo. He smells pretty normal now but doesn't like me too much, especially after nicking his ears with the clippers!