• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Don't want an under-powered boat

WDHAM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thank you for your time and Hello from Ontario.. I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 Yamaha SX190 which is listed for CAN$32500. A bit hesitant to switch from a inboard to a jet but looks like a lot more fun and appreciate the back platforms on most jet boats. My #1 priority is not to buy an under-powered boat. I just sold my 1st boat which had a 3.0 Mercruiser which I bought knowing it was temporary. We will be using the boat for water sports (tubing/skiing) and want to ensure the next boat has the power to do so. What Hp is needed in a jet, and is a twin engine boat more issues than a single engine boat...? Also, should I avoid superchargers.
We will be in freshwater lakes (obviously lol...)
Thank you

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
Depends on your specific needs. Jetboats are lighter since the engines are compact, so you get a bit better power/weight ratio. The best way is to take a wet test drive on a boat with the same hull and engine to get a feel for how it handles and performs. There's a lot of info on this site, but opinions vary greatly on each person's needs. One person might say it has plenty of power, while the next might say it doesn't have enough. What size boat and hp rating was the last one?

Is the size important - do you need it to fit in a garage?

Will it be just you or you and 3-5 others most of the time?

Current supercharged engines are very reliable. Older models of BRP engines needed re-builds every 200 hours, so that might be something to consider.

There are many variables that affect your decision.

For us, we bought a 21' because it's what we wanted and had the features we needed. Twin engines are not really any different from a single - if the single is reliable, both with be reliable. I just did my 50hr oil change recently and it costs more for twice the oil, but that's about it. As for performance, the twins have more grunt at a rated 360hp and performs well. We wet tested an AR195 and a Vortex 203 both with 250hp engines, and they both performed well (slight edge to the AR195 as it's a bit smaller and lighter), but we wanted a bigger boat and stepped up to the 21' range with twins.

WDHAM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For us, we bought a 21' because it's what we wanted and had the features we needed. Twin engines are not really any different from a single - if the single is reliable, both with be reliable. I just did my 50hr oil change recently and it costs more for twice the oil, but that's about it. As for performance, the twins have more grunt at a rated 360hp and performs well. We wet tested an AR195 and a Vortex 203 both with 250hp engines, and they both performed well (slight edge to the AR195 as it's a bit smaller and lighter), but we wanted a bigger boat and stepped up to the 21' range with twins.

Yes, it will be myself and 5-6 other riders most often.. I think your choice to go to 21’ is the way I am leaning and the fact they have the bigger engine(s) is a plus.. thx

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had an AR190 great boat but at times is was underpowered. Full tank, four on board and pulling to teenagers on a tube, the 190 would struggle. Now I have a 212S nothing but power! Don't get me wrong the 190 was a great boat and we do miss the cleaning, covering and storing of the 190.

Priceisright

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love my Yamaha 212, but all Yamaha’s are underpowered. Jet hp doesn’t transfer like a traditional prop. They are plenty fast enough, just don’t expect it to perform like a comparable hp prop boat.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are looking at the 19' boat and have any concerns about power, then you need the 195 series. If you are looking to do water sports, get the tower (AR195). Otherwise, you will likely be disappointed.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Get the 21 with the 1.8 twins and thank us later. You will never wish you didn't

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like my 190, there are a lot of times when I wish it could have more power but it gets the job done. With 5 people in the boat and myself in the water, the boat can pull me up wakeboarding no problem (at Powell's elevation of about 3,800ft) with an aftermarket impeller and L13 cone. With the same 5 people, I tried to pull my cousin on a slalom ski and the boat struggled to get to 30mph.

If only looking at water sports and storage is not an issue go for the 212LS (not the 210's, thats a whole different boat). If not, get the 190 and enjoy the easy maintenance, storage, towing, ect. I love my boat and it still fits the mission, even if it's not the best at pulling riders.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One thing I can add regarding a single eng 1.8 vs the two eng 1.8. When pulling teenagers with the single eng i would always get a thumbs up meaning "speed up dad" with the two eng thumbs down "slow down dad"

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for your time and Hello from Ontario.. I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 Yamaha SX190 which is listed for CAN$32500. A bit hesitant to switch from a inboard to a jet but looks like a lot more fun and appreciate the back platforms on most jet boats. My #1 priority is not to buy an under-powered boat. I just sold my 1st boat which had a 3.0 Mercruiser which I bought knowing it was temporary. We will be using the boat for water sports (tubing/skiing) and want to ensure the next boat has the power to do so. What Hp is needed in a jet, and is a twin engine boat more issues than a single engine boat...? Also, should I avoid superchargers.
We will be in freshwater lakes (obviously lol...)
Thank you
I traded a 3.0L Mercruiser I/O for a 1.8L Yamaha Jet. Our "old" boat was a '98 Rinker 182BR at 19'2" long. The "new" boat is a '17 AR190 at 19'6" long. Both were four cylinder normally aspirated engines driving 19ft-ish boats. The Mercruiser was "rated" at 150hp, the Yamaha is "rated" at 180hp. Performance is remarkably similar between the two. Largest difference in drive and feel are based on hull shape. Time to plane, top speed, and mid-range acceleration are all very similar.

The jet planes faster, and has more initial hit. I can rip the handle from a skier's hands if I hit teh throttle too hard in the jet. They are within 2mph of each other on the top end. 42mph CONISISTENTLY from the Rinker, 45mph once in the jet, usually closer to 40mph. VERY dependant on loading. Put two adults in the bow and it drops into the 30's. Put the anchor and everyone in the aft seating and it'll do 45mph into the wind.

For tubing, the I/O was better. The jet bleeds speed in the turns, and makes tubing somewhat of a PIA. I changed my technique, but am still not a 100% fan of it. I hear adding fins will help, but I tube about 5-6 times a year, and like the feel without the fins. The jet wash/spray into the face of the tube is a problem for some. Doesn't bother us, just keep the tube outside the wake and it's a non-issue.

I ride a wakeskate often. I can be on top of the water faster with the jet than I could with the I/O. It hits a little harder. Either one I was up, and outside the wake before I got to the prop/jet wash. Setting speed in the jet is a nightmare. It varies A LOT, and the driver has to be really on top of their game to hold a good steady 18-20mph. The I/O was "set it at 3,200rpm and forget it", it was a tractor in that regard. The solution (which I haven't purchased yet) is GPS ride control. Search for Ridesteady here on the boards, it's a great product with tons of excellent reviews, and great customer service. It's pricey at ~$1k though.....Probably because it's worth it.

Back to power. I have taught people to skate behind both boats. Both with "Full Loads". Time to plane suffers as you add load. It's still acceptable enough in the jet with 8 adults (2 adults and 6 15+ teenagers) to get on plane, and teach a new person how to skate. The I/O wouldn't plane at all at that load. I attribute this directly to the jet drive, as the force is more inline with the hull instead of stuck 18-20inches below the planing surface of the hull. Make no mistake though, the jet was still VERY slow to plane in this configuration.

If you want speed and power, the 212 models are where it's at. They have the twin 1.8L engines in the lightest hull available. Those boats will move into the 50mph range with a medium load on them. If you need/want to stay in a 19ft, your best bet for power is the 192/195 boats. They have the supercharged 1.8L engines, and larger 160mm pumps. These will have no problem maintaining short time to plane numbers, and will be less sensitive to loading than the 190's

The complexity of the twins is nothing to be scared of IMO. Even with two engines, there are still fewer parts/systems to deal with than even a single I/O. No power steering (don't need it in a jet), no trim adjustment system, no water impellers for cooling system, no alternator (replaced with a stator and voltage regulator), no outdrive (just a cable operated reverse bucket). The jet drive system is FAR FAR less complex than an I/O system from a maintenance and parts count standpoint. Same goes for the supercharged boats, the complexity is still far lower than your standard I/O setup. Just less stuff to break/replace/maintain. I'm a huge fan of jets for that reason alone.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my boat and it still fits the mission, even if it's not the best at pulling riders.
Wife and I had this same dsicussion this weekend. We've been going back and forth on getting a bigger boat. We really really like our 190. It fits our family perfect. It's only when we have another family aboard, or in a drag race that we want some changes.

We had 8 people on Friday afternoon. 4 adults, 4 young (under 10) boys. It was snug, but acceptable. A 21ft or 24ft boat would have made that a non issue.

Saturday we made the trip from one cove to another with some friends. A few extra mph would have helped along the way. It was just two adults and 2 boys, but a top end of 40, with drips into the low 30's for turns and waves, puts me just behind our friends boats that will run 35-37mph though 2ft wakes and curves. Doug's tritoon is a tractor at heart. That boat runs 35mph regardless of what it's doing. Pulling a tube with 3 kids, 6 adults, and 4 coolers on board at the same time, 32mph. Just him and his wife and a little dog, 32mph. I wouldn't mind having a 35 consistent cruising speed, but I always feel like I'm running the boat a little harder than I should. Doug's WFO all the time though, so there's that. I do get WAY better fuel mileage than he does though :D

Monday we went out just the 4 of us. We cruised around all day. Went to this marina for ice cream. Went and fed the fish at another marina. Then back across the lake for our favorite swimming hole. Then back another direction to see what that unexplored cove looked like WAY back in there. The 190 did PERFECT for all that. We had the right amount of space, the right amount of power, and the right amount fuel burn to enjoy the day inexpensively, safely, and have fun doing it.

The 190 still fits the bill for US very well. It's cheap to own, cheap to store, cheap to tow, and cheap to operate. We'll be adding some upgrades this winter for next season, and plan to keep our "little boat" for another couple years. The hope is to buy some more experiences, not some more equipment.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
2kwik4u nice write up👍you have to be on a laptop. I could never type all that on my phone😎

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had my 190 for about 6 weeks now, and I find the power ok, but a bit more would be nice. Haven't tried skiing with it yet, but have taken my 2 girls tubing and it seemed to pull ok. My old 210 tracked straighter with the twins, but I do prefer the lower tone of the 1.8L engine over the higher pitched sound of the 2 smaller ones. No regrets though. Nice size for the driveway, and plenty of space inside.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have an AR192 and it is just enough power for skiing. I don’t think I would have been happy with a 190 as the supercharger does make a big difference. I don’t have a big tow vehicle so a 21 foot boat wasn’t a choice for us. Really glad we have the supercharger, I sometimes dream about a 195 just can’t afford it though.