• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dreaming of a jet boat

ChrisWNY

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Hi, everyone! I've always loved the Yamaha jet boats...the AR230 or 240 would very much be my happy place for a boat for my family. The issue, though, is that we live on Chautauqua Lake here in Western NY...and down here in the south basin, it's pretty shallow (less than 20') and weeds are a significant issue. We had jet skis last season, and the weeds were a definite source of issues...even zipping over them at speed (since they float in small pods on the surface and are hard to see sometimes), they find themselves sucked into the grate and causing problems.

I've spoken to some of the folks at the local marinas, and they've all been very negative about how enjoyable a jet boat may be on our lake. I've only seen one Yamaha moored in our town, but haven't been able to track down the owner to get their experience. We're trying to weigh out the pros and cons...how much of a headache are the weeds going to be? Is it worth not having to worry about a prop and lower units and bellows...

Anyone have any experience or know anyone down here on Chautauqua that has a jet and might be willing to share their experience? Thanks!

gmac03

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Twin engine is the key, I boat on Oneida which can get a nasty bloom for a few weeks typically in August. Us with the single engine typically jump on the friends twin engine 24/25 footers cause they can keep going enough to get out of the thickest stuff. The clean out ports are great so you won’t be dragging any toes against grates underneath.

Overall a pain to deal with but for a nice quality well priced boat that’s good at everything but excellent at nothing and safe for our kids, that’s what we prefer.

ChrisWNY

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Twin engine is the key, I boat on Oneida which can get a nasty bloom for a few weeks typically in August. Us with the single engine typically jump on the friends twin engine 24/25 footers cause they can keep going enough to get out of the thickest stuff. The clean out ports are great so you won’t be dragging any toes against grates underneath.

Overall a pain to deal with but for a nice quality well priced boat that’s good at everything but excellent at nothing and safe for our kids, that’s what we prefer.
Thanks for the insights! We were definitely looking at twin engines for that exact reason...hopefully you don't clog up both at the same time, and one can get you clear of the worst of it. And the safety with the kids is the biggest thing to me...props terrify me.

I wish I could get one out here for a test ride to see...we've talked to a couple of folks that have been in friends' yamahas and loved the layout, but said that compared to their typical Mercruiser 300/350's, the Yamaha's were very loud and not very smooth of a ride (owing to the much lighter weight).

I think you nailed it perfectly, though...jack of all trades boats. It's just a huge leap to take and have the dream turn into a nightmare :(

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey @ChrisWNY, I'm only three hours away. If you find yourself in the Baldwinsville area, I'll be glad to take you for a spin around Cross Lake in my 210 FSH. I can't speak to any issues with weeds yet, since I'm only two weeks in and just hit my 10 hour mark.