• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DSP Audio Tuning for Audio Geeks

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK....am I the only one who read "Butterworth" in the first post, got distracted and
View attachment 96630
ate pancakes!!!!

Fascinating stuff @Mainah but I'm more along the lines of @bronze_10 here....I'm happy my system works and sounds ok. I still have a hiss I'd love to track down, but I just turn up the volume and I can't hear it anymore!!! LOL (yes...I'm sure audiophiles the world over are cringing at that!)
Ha! I think the reality as others have said, tuning a boat is a bit of a waste less effort, so don’t think any audiophile would criticize you there. If you want the quick easy way to solve your issue of the hiss you can probably just put a ground loop noise isolator on your rca connections and call it a day. Quick amazon search and I found one for $8, but I’d probably see if there’s a marine quality one.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is an old thread that I am going g to revive to ask for help for people who know what they are looking at. Does everyone remember the little kenwood 600 watt amps that were talked about on this form a few years ago? 20200313_172751.jpg

I had in my boat a few years ago but took it out to make room for more speakers... so I had this little amp sitting around.
So i decided to put it in my truck. Works great. But now I need help tuning the sound... any advise would be great. I like a bass thump and a good bit of treble to make it sound crisp but there is a middle area that's a little over powering... this is what I need help with... how should these be set for the best overall sound.
20200313_171701.jpg
Here are some of the songs I listen to most to give u an idea if the music I listen too.
20200313_172813.jpg
20200313_172020.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Adjusting the eq will be personal preference. Play around with it until you get it how you like. I was focused on the crossovers more than anything with my boat project. If the head has built in crossovers go ahead and use those and turn them off on the amp. Do that before adjusting the eq. High pass of 60 or 80 low pass of 100 or 120 depending on sub. Keep in mind some speakers favor certain bandwidth. Bringing the high pass down to 60 could help with the bright midrange depending on the speakers. Adding a sub always helps too. You may have to turn the sub to on on the head even if you don’t have one for the head crossover to work.

Not to be overlooked is age and hearing quality of the listener (I am not insinuating anything but merely pointing something out to all reading) . Hearing loss usually happens more at the poles of the range making things in the middle sound louder. Have trouble hearing some stuff on the TV? Family always telling you to turn it down? These are tell tale signs.

Good luck and just don’t crank the gain too high and fry the voice coils. My son fried the voice coil on the polk db sub in my truck cranking it well past what I told him. Got the full truth out of him after I had him press in on the cone to hear and feel what a fried voice coil is.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah and many others on this thread, after spending nearly two hours reading this thread I’ve come to the conclusion, actually just confirmed, that when it comes to audio setup and tuning I don’t know WTF I’m doing, so I salute you and all those that do.

I’m about to install a new system in my boat (fusion 670 HU w DSP, 4 kicker amps, 4 1” tweeters, 4 6.5”s, 2 8”s and 10” sub). My only regret, so far is not purchasing the 770 HU for the WiFi and Apple air play features but the extra $200 would have taken me more over my $2k budget than I’m comfortable with. However, my requirements are very basic by comparison. First, everything needs to power up. Second, don’t fry anything. I’m not deep into the rabbit hole on this at all, more like I’m viewing the entrance from 3 feet away on a monitor.

Good luck with the tuning, I’m looking forward to reading more about your results and seeing pics of your system. It sounds (reads) amazing. @swatski , 10 6.5”s ? DAMM, wow, any pics?

I just learned this and thought some of you might find it interesting, especially if you, like me, have been using the term most of your lives without knowing its meaning. Now that I know the definition I realize that it does not belong in / is out of context in my statement above and I’ve been using incorrectly for decades, Lol.

A40F8CA5-09AE-4213-8179-60BAD9D2CEC3.png