• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual battery connection

webbug

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have noticed one cable is isn't connected (see attached pic) which made me doubt the whole connection of the batteries. My dealer asked me to always switch the three switches to ON while boating!! Can any you tell by the pics of the connection done correctly?

Thanks in advance image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would assume that the little black wire is the common for the coil in the relay. Without having it connected to the negative terminal on the battery, the coil circuit is open and will never be able to activate and switch over to charge the house battery bank. The negative terminals of both batteries should be tied together, and that black wire should run to them.

Something like this:
upload_2015-7-2_12-50-50.png

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Bill D :thumbsup:

Also I would NOT put all three switches ON. Your dealer is wrong. It should only be START and HOUSE normally.

The "Emerg Parallel" switch is only needed if one of the batteries goes dead and you need to use the remaining good battery to get back to safety.

Last edited:

webbug

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have noticed one cable is isn't connected (see attached pic) which made me doubt the whole connection of the batteries. My dealer asked me to always switch the three switches to ON while boating!! Can any you tell by the pics of the connection done correctly?

Thanks in advance View attachment 24743View attachment 24744View attachment 24745
Thanks, is the little wire only missing? Does the other connection looks right from the pics? I'm concerned with with the brown/green wires

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with ma boat and billD. That little black wire completed the charging circuit. Without it it will not charge the house battery. Never use all 3 switches unless your starting battery is dead. Your dealer needs to learn about what he is selling.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, had he not told you to turn on all 3 switches, you would have been screwed, because he didn't hook up the DVSR correctly. The emergency switch has been letting your house battery charge...

Attach that black wire to the negative and then you can flip just the 2 switches, as God intended.

Hard to tell from the pics if the rest is wired correctly...

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Screwed both ways. With the 3rd switch on it also let the stereo draw down the starting battery when not running.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
God I love this forum!!

This old thread just answered my situation! My wire is also not connected and my battery was running low on voltage. My dealer told me to run with all 3 switches on as well. While this temporally fixed my problem, still didn't seem right to me. I will connect this and hope my low voltage will be fixed! Thanks!!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depending on how low the battery is you may want to charge it fully with a charger. These boats don't charge batteries to well and if the voltage is too low the dvsr may not switch over at all to charge the 2nd battery.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Depending on how low the battery is you may want to charge it fully with a charger. These boats don't charge batteries to well and if the voltage is too low the dvsr may not switch over at all to charge the 2nd battery.
Good info, thank you.