• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dual Battery Tender

Reaction score
Welling Beach...Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Getting a dealer-installed dual battery setup in my new 165 ID. Question is, can I use a battery tender on one battery with the switch set to both batteries to keep them both charged over winter, or do I need to have a battery tender on each battery separately. If so, I would keep the switch set to "off".

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If the two batteries are the same type, same age ( in other words, same specs and voltage levels), then yes. If they aren't the same, some tenders do fancy things to try and "fix" the battery and such. That could cause the other, good battery to have issues since it doesn't need it.

I'm not sure how they are wiring them up... but if the switch allows you to connect the batteries in parallel (hence, keep 12V but add capacity), then that's what you want to do. If you're unsure, it may be easier to simply disconnect them for the winter, and connect the two batteries together in parallel manually.

There's a whole section on this on the Battery Tender brand's page: Connecting Batteries & Chargers in Series & Parallel

And here's a video from Genius battery chargers explaining all of this in a short video:

Reaction score
Welling Beach...Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
If the two batteries are the same type, same age ( in other words, same specs and voltage levels), then yes. If they aren't the same, some tenders do fancy things to try and "fix" the battery and such. That could cause the other, good battery to have issues since it doesn't need it.

I'm not sure how they are wiring them up... but if the switch allows you to connect the batteries in parallel (hence, keep 12V but add capacity), then that's what you want to do. If you're unsure, it may be easier to simply disconnect them for the winter, and connect the two batteries together in parallel manually.

There's a whole section on this on the Battery Tender brand's page: Connecting Batteries & Chargers in Series & Parallel

And here's a video from Genius battery chargers explaining all of this in a short video:
OK, here's what I did. I found a 2 pack of 1.2 amp battery tenders from Guide Gear (Sportsman's Guide) for $34.99 + $9.99 shipping + tax. I'll keep the master switch on "off", and attach the tenders separately to each battery.