• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

easy stereo replacement help

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have a 2014 242 LS and the stereo no longer works. Wont turn on anymore and even when it would no buttons or knobs would respond. What is the best, easy, and relatively inexpensive way to replace it? I don't really want to add amp and sub at this time. I already have the polk speakers, so I was just thinking new head unit and back remote.

Also what have you guys done about the absolutely horrible tower tweeters? When the stereo was working I could barely turn it up before those would distort.

You guys all rock....Used a 2x4 and a tow rope to get my manhole covers out the other day. Could not have done it without this site.

I have a 2014 242 LS and the stereo no longer works. Wont turn on anymore and even when it would no buttons or knobs would respond. What is the best, easy, and relatively inexpensive way to replace it? I don't really want to add amp and sub at this time. I already have the polk speakers, so I was just thinking new head unit and back remote.

Also what have you guys done about the absolutely horrible tower tweeters? When the stereo was working I could barely turn it up before those would distort.

You guys all rock....Used a 2x4 and a tow rope to get my manhole covers out the other day. Could not have done it without this site.

Does your current system have a round stern remote? Kenwood and Aquatics AV both have a round remote. The reason I’m asking though is that I’m trying to find an older model Aquatics AV remote like the one in this pic. If you have this, I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

I have a clarion round remote at the stern...also not working

I have a clarion round remote at the stern...also not working
Keep in mind the remote might not be working now because of the head unit. Once you replace the head, the remote may come to life.

Equally, there are many reports (including mine) of a bad remote messing up the head unit. The first thing I would recommend is unplugging the remote and seeing if the head unit magically starts working.

There is always a degree of getting what you pay for, of course. Myself, when I was in a similar situation, I got a last-year-model Fusion head unit and eventually added the Fusion remote. Well-worth it. Very well made, work very well, simple, etc. I would not hesitate to recommend Fusion to anyone. You can find cheaper head units, but you may be replacing them pretty quickly...

Equally, there are many reports (including mine) of a bad remote messing up the head unit. The first thing I would recommend is unplugging the remote and seeing if the head unit magically starts working.
Oh good point, yes that might be the issue too.
@Kooter take note of this suggestion.
There is always a degree of getting what you pay for, of course. Myself, when I was in a similar situation, I got a last-year-model Fusion head unit and eventually added the Fusion remote. Well-worth it. Very well made, work very well, simple, etc. I would not hesitate to recommend Fusion to anyone. You can find cheaper head units, but you may be replacing them pretty quickly...
I concur, I had Fusion in my old boat too as they're rock solid units and worth the extra bucks.

I recommend the fusion pictured along with one of the pairs of tweeters pictured (I bought the alpines, they fit perfectly in the tower just don’t rip up the rubber mounts on the oem tweeters when you replace them). No wired remote but you can control it / play tunes through it from your phone, usb or aux. cables.

I have a 2010 242 LS so a little older but I doubt that yamaha changed how the 8 speakers are powered by a 4 channel head unit. the front channels power the bow and tower speakers, the rear channels power the cockpit and swim deck speakers, so if you want to use the zone control of the fusion head unit to power the tower and cockpit speakers on the same channel you will need to do some re-wiring. In the future you just need to add a 4 channel amp to better power all 8 speakers.

0516C050-42FD-4779-872E-9CF8078597EB.png7B45E327-9363-4EC8-8909-40A4C8D6A6AD.png2E499552-1936-483C-AE10-34D5F2E9AB0F.png

Last edited:
I just replaced my CMD6 because it stopped working. I got the Clarion M608 because it is a plug and play replacement and can be used with the existing clarion remote on the swim platform. The plug that has the wires for power and speakers is the same. The screw holes on the front are the same as well as the rear bracket. Crutchfield has scratch and dent for $336 plus tax.

I think my HU went bad. I bought a new HU but haven't put it in. Never thought of the stern remote as the problem as we never use it. Maybe I'll disconnect the remote when I put in the new HU. New HU has options the old HU doesn't so its worth the easy replacement.

Apparently I am a moron..... Which wire is the remote? I want to unplug just to see if that is the problem but I can't find it for he life of me.

Back