• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Flush Timing

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I will be pulling my boat out of saltwater and may not be able to get to a hose to flush the engine for 2-3 days. Do you think this is an issue? Should i figure out a way to get it flushed prior to shipping?

Thanks!
Doug

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It would be better to flush it, but it is not that big of a deal. If you did it all of the time, it would probably matter.

Obviously, I presume that you are flushing with an anti-salt solution (Salt Away, Salt Off or etc.). The anti-salt solution should remove any dried on salt during the flush; you could always flush it twice for good measure.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am in freshwater so i haven't done the saltwater flush. Sending it to Florida for a trip. Thanks for the tip!

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What do you mean by shipping? Also why would it be hard to find a hose? Longest I ve gone without a rinse was 4 days while it was docked on vac.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am having the boat picked up at a public ramp in Florida by a transportation company and driven to my house in Pittsburgh, It should take a couple days. I can try and have him find a hose but i think that will be difficult. Does the salt off or salt away flush work without a hose? This is my first time in saltwater. Thank you!!!!

Doug

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't overthink it. Not ideal but as long as it is not sitting unflushed in some humid environment over a long period I personally wouldn't worry.
Having a tow guy do this actually risks hydrolocking the engines, our yammies are special as far as engine flush sequence, lol.
I would most definitely recommend to use some good commercial wash like saltaway/saltoff - boat's engines, hull, and trailer once you get her back. Fresh water with no additives is not effective in removing salt deposits, in my experience.

--

Last edited:

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great advice thank you! This also my first year with the boat so I am a rookie in freshwater as well :)

Doug

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Dshriber can you provide a ball park on the cost/miles to ship? I'm thinking about taking my boat to Maine next summer, but have some hesitation trailering it from Ohio all the way.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Its about $1 a mile. You bid your trip on Uship.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dshriber can you provide a ball park on the cost/miles to ship? I'm thinking about taking my boat to Maine next summer, but have some hesitation trailering it from Ohio all the way.
Easy.
Call @Betik.
He works for Moussaka, and Ouzo.
He will even weight your trailer tongue for free!
:p

--

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if it would be possible in Pittsburgh, but if possible, take the boat out and run it for the day on a lake as soon as it gets delivered. Better than flushing 😁

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do N
Not sure if it would be possible in Pittsburgh, but if possible, take the boat out and run it for the day on a lake as soon as it gets delivered. Better than flushing 😁
I would still flush it before with an anti-salt compound. If the salt has dried on, the flow of fresh water (especially cold water) may not remove it as effectively as you would think. For example, if you have dried salt on your hull, you can spray it with fresh water all day, and a lot of it will remain. You have to either physically remove it (brush or wash cloth preferably with soap) or use a pressure washer to again physically remove it.

The flow of water through the engine's water cooling system is not as robust as spraying a hull with a hose, but at least the water should be warmed by the engine for most of the journey. It would probably be more effective to run the engine in fresh water, and then shut it down to let it warm the water in the cooling system (to promote the salt dissolving in the warm/hot water). Afterwards, crank up and head back to shore.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you both! Great advice!

Doug

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you both! Great advice!

Doug
If you have any opportunity to dunk the boat AND the trailer in a fresh water lake or river, by all means I would do it!
IIRC that's what @MrMoose used to do on his way back to Texas, after Bimini trips. Nothing flushes those motors like a good old WOT run!

--