• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine fogging/winterization

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
at the end of the 2019 season I had my dealer winterize the boat including fogging the engines....As I understand it fogging the engines isn't really related to winterization but more so for long term storage to avoid condensation forming in the engines. I'm wondering if you could avoid fogging, and instead start the engines every few weeks and run for 10 seconds or so. Would this be a suitable alternative to engine fogging during a cold Wisconsin winter? I'm planning on installing an on-board charger and could leave the batteries on the boat and connected to the charger/maintainer.

thoughts?

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
It is worse IMO to start them for only 10 seconds at a time and not get them to operating temp for multiple reasons. Personally, fog them and be done with it as you don't have to worry about it then.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree. I wouldn’t run the engines unless you can bring them up to operating temperature and even then I’m not sure it’s worth it. I’ve had stern drives and jets for many years and have always just winterized properly and stored the batteries in my garage on trickle chargers. Never had an issue.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your alternative seems more cumbersome than fogging. Fogging is easy. If your dealer charged you an arm and a leg to do it, I understand, but there are lots of info on how to fog yourself here. DIY

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is an age old question for the sled guys, and it splits it into two camps as there is no wrong answer.

But unlike your boat, starting the sled in the summer every so many weeks is nothing more than firing it up and getting it up to temp. It has a sealed cooling system. Your boat on the other hand may not like coming up to temp and then being shut off, as there is no cooling system other than hose or lake water.

Hooking up a hose in the dead of the Wisconsin winter is not only a crazy pain in the ass, it goes against all the reasons for draining it in the fall.

From most of us that have owned these boats, and even four stroke sleds, many have stopped the act of fogging. Or at least stopped paying someone to do such an easy task. If you still want it done, but don't want to pay for it, do it yourself. It's cake to do. And the boat is better off just resting during the winter months.

Good luck,

Last edited:

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The main purpose for fogging is to prevent/slow down corrosion. When the engine sits unused for any appreciable time the oil in it drains to the sump, leaving unprotected metal surfaces. The fogging oil is formulated to stick to those surfaces and protect them.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No brainer for me, I fog my engines in my boat and jet skis, it takes no time at all to do. If I need to do it or not doesn't matter, I do it for peace of mind and it can't hurt to do it.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t fog my engines. I look at it this way, no one fogs car engines even though lots of them sit for months or even years. Fogging only seems to be a boat thing. I’m sure ever one of us has seen a car that sat for a few months and they are started up and driven down the road. Did you ever have concerns that the engine wasn’t fogged before it was parked?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t fog my engines. I look at it this way, no one fogs car engines even though lots of them sit for months or even years. Fogging only seems to be a boat thing. I’m sure ever one of us has seen a car that sat for a few months and they are started up and driven down the road. Did you ever have concerns that the engine wasn’t fogged before it was parked?
The reason boat engines get fogged is because of how the cooling system works. Lake/ocean water gets mixed in with the exhaust fumes during the cooling process. This allows condensation to travel upward through the exhaust manifold into the combustion chamber during dormant periods. It’s a super cheap and easy way to ensure your cylinder walls don’t slowly develop rust, and also the potential for spark plugs to seize.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Am I the only person That cranks the boat before leaving the house. Only running it for a few secs and shutting it off. I didn’t think that hurt anything. Keeps me from having issues at the ramp.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I start my engines before heading out to make sure they’re happy also. It’s just that starting them periodically throughout the winter for a few seconds and shutting them down without getting up to operating temperature isn’t recommended, for a variety of reasons. Nothing major, or detrimental, it’s just better for the engine to be fogged, and left in peace. Repeatedly starting an engine, running it for a little, and shutting it down will build up carbon faster, foul spark plugs sooner, etc.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We don’t have cold weather long enough in nc to winterize my boat. Jet ski yes, boat no. I’ll be on the water tomorrow and Thursday this week.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We don’t have cold weather long enough in nc to winterize my boat. Jet ski yes, boat no. I’ll be on the water tomorrow and Thursday this week.
I resent you. 😉

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Am I the only person That cranks the boat before leaving the house. Only running it for a few secs and shutting it off. I didn’t think that hurt anything. Keeps me from having issues at the ramp.
I do the same thing, except while loading the boat at the ramp. I don't want to be "that guy" after waiting in line for it not to fire up. I do believe the boat engines are tuned for warm weather running (obviously) as most would consider that a recipe for fouled plugs.

I keep comparing this to my Yamaha sleds, as they are similar 3-4 cylinder engines. But being tuned for cold weather operation, if you don't let them get up to temp, you will most definitely foul the plugs. That's why each one as a temp light that we have to wait to go out, before running down the trail, or shutting the engine off. It has never caused an issue for me with the boat or waverunner engines, which I do every single time when trailering.