• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine stand?

Steve K

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey forum — I have an engine with I suspect a broken connrod. Planning on pulling the engine and repairing. Haven’t worked on a boat motor before (have done motorcycle and car work).
Plan is to build an overhead gantry to lift the motor. Simple question: will a standard engine stand couple up to the engine? What kind of bolts will I need?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t think a standard auto engine stand will work. Here are a few pics of one of my engines strapped to a moving dolly. If you plan to use a standard stand you will have to remove the coupler at the back of the crank. My local shop showed me the tool (an insert) they use to do so and said that I would need a long breaker bar and to apply a lot of heat before hand.

one alternative maybe some 2”x4”s on work bench. That’s what I used when moving engines in and out of the boats.

C754A58D-A08B-4E94-A5F1-AF3F794C1DC7.png

Attachments

Steve K

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, Ronnie. Curious if you did bottom-end work on that engine? Seems like that would be fine for the top end, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to pull the crank and rods that way.

Haven’t planned it out yet, but I guess I will head to pull the heads first to get the timing chain removed, then flip it to to the bottom-end. I guess I could lay it on a moving blanket or something, but a stand would make all of this a lot easier.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn’t do any of the engine work myself. A local shop replaced the timing chain on the engine in the pic before I pulled it from the boat.

the timing chain in the other engine broke and damaged about half of the intake And exhaust valves. I ended up giving them that engine in exchange for the diagnostic fees on it as well as the new timing chain.

I see what you mean when you say it would be easier to work on the bottom end of you could flip the engine over. If you remove the plastic covers and coils you may be able to lay the engine upside down on its valve cover and keep it in place with a jog made of wood and or straps.

here are a few more pics for you to consider.
D4BF33D0-B74E-4E08-A07D-148524AEB423.pngCB4218CA-AAA8-49E2-88FA-6F338175C0B4.png

Attachments

bikerman5345

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your best bet to put that on a stand is to use the motor mounts bolted to a cradle type stand. Then it will be secure for you to work on.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, Ronnie. Curious if you did bottom-end work on that engine? Seems like that would be fine for the top end, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to pull the crank and rods that way.

Haven’t planned it out yet, but I guess I will head to pull the heads first to get the timing chain removed, then flip it to to the bottom-end. I guess I could lay it on a moving blanket or something, but a stand would make all of this a lot easier.
In case you do not already know: When you remove the camshafts to remove the head, just do not flip the head. You will lose all the spacers