• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine timing

Billy bats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On 2013 sx210, is engine timing (1052cc) marks/dots supposed to be off?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you haver the service manual for your boat? It should give you the correct information.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas Are you able to steer @Billy bats in the right direction? Thanks.
@Billy bats It would also be helpful to put in your zip code or location in case there is someone in your area to assist you.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BillyBats, update your profile so we know where you're at,

can you take a picture of your marks so we can see what your looking at,

Do you have a problem that you suspect is timing related?

Billy bats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat is at mechanic, had fuel injector issues with it and he told me he noticed dots aren't lined up.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have similar engine(s). On mine there are two punch marks: one on the exhaust camshaft and one on the intake camshaft. Those should be perpendicular to the cylinder head when piston number one is at top dead center (TDC). In order to change that, the engine must be removed from the boat; and the cylinder head removed to adjust the timing chain. If the engines ran well at one time, I do not know if I would go down that path without being absolutely sure. I have not heard of the timing chain problems with these engines. Maybe @BrentEB has the service manual for your boat and can verify.

Billy bats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have similar engine(s). On mine there are two punch marks: one on the exhaust camshaft and one on the intake camshaft. Those should be perpendicular to the cylinder head when piston number one is at top dead center (TDC). In order to change that, the engine must be removed from the boat; and the cylinder head removed to adjust the timing chain. If the engines ran well at one time, I do not know if I would go down that path without being absolutely sure. I have not heard of the timing chain problems with these engines. Maybe @BrentEB has the service manual for your boat and can verify.
Code came up that it overheated prior to me owning it. Boat actually ran fine but My rpm,s were off by 1000, bad fuel injectors. Was getting blow-by, as they were adjusting va
I just cant see timing being off other than chain jumped. Started with a small fuel injector problem and now escalating.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 questions: 1.How many hours have you put on the boat? 2. Has it overheated while you have been using it?

Billy bats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, never overheated since we had it, about 200 hours on it

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds good. How about spark plugs and connectors? Is everything dry and making good electrical contact?

Billy bats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds good. How about spark plugs and connectors? Is everything dry and making good electrical contact?
Yeah, all fixed now, thank you

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did the mechanic adjust the timing to make the marks align ????