• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine will not turn over.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I took the boat out for it's first test run of the season. It was very hard to start, I think it was bad gas.
Filled it with new gas and oil premixed. Got it on the water and was running fine at idle, 10, 20, 30. About ten minutes in i felt a noticeable Slow loss of power and within 10 seconds the engine stopped.
Trying to crank, I can hear the starter engage but it doesn't turn the flywheel.
I just got back home and want to know where I should start looking. There were a few rocks in the grate, but on visual inspection no rope or other obvious items holding the impeller in place.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Check the voltage at the battery, it may be drained

Check the voltage at the starter, you may have a bad cable or connection.

If those two are good, you can try rolling the motor over by hand (ignition off!), to see if it seized. I would go ahead and pull the spark plugs before rolling it.

If it rolls over by hand(with a wrench) I would pull the starter and have it bench tested.

If it doesn’t inspect the impeller thoroughly to see if you have a jam.

If it rolls, check the plugs to see if they are fouled. Replace if any wear is detected.

That should get you started on diagnosis. I’m sure others have a few other ideas as well. If you report this back that at least gives us a place to start.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
What if the metal reeds have broken and caused the engine to seize?

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I was able to rotate the flywheel for about 70 degrees then it will not turn any further. Any ideas??

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I did not. But, I can. How would it make a difference?

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If you pull the spark plugs, you are not working against the compression of the engine. You’ll just be rolling the mechanicals over. Should be much easier to turn by hand.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Ahh, ok - makes sense! I'll give it a try as soon as the storm passes

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Pulled the plugs and the one on cylinder 3 felt gritty. Sure enough something happened. Do you think it's damage from reeds breaking off?

I don't have an engine hoist and I can't seem to find anyone willing to work on it...View attachment 20220518_144646.jpg

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
That is too bad. Yes, that needs some attention. Jet ski mechanics is an option and you can usually rent a hoist from a tool rental place if you have one around anywhere.