• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Won't Start

ACO175FO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2009 SX210. End of last season I had one of the motors replaced with an SBT motor. Went to take it out this past weekend and the new motor won't start. It doesn't crank or anything. When I turn the key all 3 of the warning lights below the tachometer turn on red. The other (old motor) runs normally.

I know I need to check the kill switch for the cleanout plug and the safety lanyard. What other things should I be checking?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Try jumping the points on the starter relay to see if it cranks over. That will help you track back if it's directly related to starter/engine or electrical between the starter relay and your key.

ACO175FO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed that one of the kill switches under the cleanout hatch is stuck in the down position, so that could definitely be the problem. Anyone know where to buy replacements for those at a reasonable price?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed that one of the kill switches under the cleanout hatch is stuck in the down position, so that could definitely be the problem. Anyone know where to buy replacements for those at a reasonable price?
If its stuck down that would close the switch contactors. You could ohm the switch and see if you have a circuit.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you have a helper, open the hatch and manually press down the switches with your fingers and have the helper attempt to start. As djetok stated, down = start, but the switch itself could be bad.

ACO175FO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have a helper, open the hatch and manually press down the switches with your fingers and have the helper attempt to start. As djetok stated, down = start, but the switch itself could be bad.
Yeah, we tried that. Next chance I get I'll try to bypass the switch to see if it will start.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah, we tried that. Next chance I get I'll try to bypass the switch to see if it will start.
Did you try to jump the starter solenoid?