• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ERR GPS NMEA

ChopperLinc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Went to install fish finder a few days ago, and before I did anything, I turned the boat on and received a low voltage warning and a GPS NMEA error. 12 in Connext displays ERR. Photo of error attached.

Reading through other threads, seems like perhaps the low house battery set off the GPS error. Low voltage disappeared but after a full day on the water and fully charged batteries, GPS error persists.

Is there any way to do a hard reset of the system that may correct it? It seems like a hardware issue is unlikely. Checked all connections.

Photo of error attached.

Worst part was the alarm that went off every five minutes.

Any help appreciated.

2018 242 LSE

7317BDBD-83A8-4116-828D-02AFBD5DEF4F.jpeg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Comm errors usually reset themselves after a day on the water. I think a certain number of ignition cycles from off to on with a long enough on/run time during each cylr or certain number of engine hours is what resets it. The low voltage almost certainly triggered the comm error.

For any Yamaha engineers or software guys reading this you should be ashamed. We are on version 2.0 now and waterfall error handling to display only root cause and not pester the operator once rectified is not hard to implement and is really a safety concern. A longer buffer on the comm error messages would not be a bad idea either.

Maybe third try will finally be a charm for Yamahas propriety n2k canbus communicaton and glass helm known as connext but given what I have seen to date I am not holding my breath. Don’t get me wrong I like my boat but any experienced canbus or elctro mechanical engineer will tell you this is not hard stuff. Seems to me the error handling and display was never process flowed and included in the design requirements. Also with the connext 2.0 boats I think the gps module is the only nmea 0183 comm protocol so why not simplify and use n2k gps module instead?

ChopperLinc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Comm errors usually reset themselves after a day on the water. I think a certain number of ignition cycles from off to on with a long enough on/run time during each cylr or certain number of engine hours is what resets it. The low voltage almost certainly triggered the comm error.

For any Yamaha engineers or software guys reading this you should be ashamed. We are on version 2.0 now and waterfall error handling to display only root cause and not pester the operator once rectified is not hard to implement and is really a safety concern. A longer buffer on the comm error messages would not be a bad idea either.

Maybe third try will finally be a charm for Yamahas propriety n2k canbus communicaton and glass helm known as connext but given what I have seen to date I am not holding my breath. Don’t get me wrong I like my boat but any experienced canbus or elctro mechanical engineer will tell you this is not hard stuff. Seems to me the error handling and display was never process flowed and included in the design requirements. Also with the connext 2.0 boats I think the gps module is the only nmea 0183 comm protocol so why not simplify and use n2k gps module instead?
Thanks.

Took it in this morning because dealer stated that I hadn’t had the update yet. Turns out I did.

Spent a full day on the water and cycled batteries on and off several times and it didn’t go away. Dealer says it has to be reset there, which seems ridiculous that I’d have to take it in every time voltage is slightly low.

I hope Yamaha finds a long-term solution.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks.

Took it in this morning because dealer stated that I hadn’t had the update yet. Turns out I did.

Spent a full day on the water and cycled batteries on and off several times and it didn’t go away. Dealer says it has to be reset there, which seems ridiculous that I’d have to take it in every time voltage is slightly low.

I hope Yamaha finds a long-term solution.
With Connext 1.0 cycling the engines from on to off works as far as I am aware. If 2.0 requires the dealwr that is really awful especially since no after market soultion like for cars.

Mr. Boh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? @Mainah last post sounds concerning!