• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ethanol increase for 2017

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was reading about the EPA pushing forward a proposal to increase gas ethanol levels to 15% for 2017, I also read how most marine engines are not designed for any higher than 10% and it's actually illegal to use any fuel higher than 10%.

Does anybody have any further info on this?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, EPA is pushing to increase ethanol % in transportation fuel/gas to 15%. Yes, you are correct that current marine engines will operate well with over 10% ethanol and it will actually cause engine wear prematurely.

Marina gas stations will still provide ethanol free gas, REC 90 and high octane fuel as they do today and some gas stations (Valero and RaceTrac I know do at some locations) will continue to provide ethanol free 87 octane.

The impact felt by boat owners will probably be a increase in cost per gallon for ethanol free fuels, further increasing the cost of ownership and the gap in price between "conventional" fuel. I doubt it will impact the availability of ethanol free fuel.
I wonder how it will affect people who don't keep their boats in the water and fill on the road?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ain't this country great? I'm switching to premixed fuel in a can for my small 2 stroker engines. I'm soooo tired of fuel line, primer bulb and carb kits! Can't wait to see how my 230 will run on water....geesh

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They are also talking about lowering the limit of total gallons of nonethnol produced which will significantly drive up the cost. 15% will cost us all and is only good for farmers and repair shops.

mb300sd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think it will be "illegal" to used the higher ethanol content. It may void the warranty but I'm not sure of that.

JeffC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There will be some sort of grand fathered rule.