• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exhaust pipe assembly MR1 engine

K-9bot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took my 2004 AR230 for a ride when the boat lost power and started sounding strange. The port engine would not rev over about 4,000 RPM and sounded like a 4 stroke engine chocking or something. Although the main issue turned out to be a gasket in the exhaust system, I kept looking and took apart the entire exhaust just to be sure. When I pulled the exhaust pipe assembly off the block and looked at the pipe side, I found some missing material close to where the pipe meets the engine block. Also noted some "gasket sealant" most likely from a previous repair attempt which was clogging some of the waters paths, I do not think the manufacturer calls for sealant.
Anyway, would you agree that these pipes are done?
I ordered a used set on ebay, but would you reuse this part on your boat?
pipe1.jpgpipe2.jpgpipes.jpg

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would weld those up and resurface them on a mill. But then again, not everyone has that option. It would be iffy to re-use those in their current condition. It may be difficult to ensure you have a good seal between the mating surfaces. If i had no other options i would probably make a paper gasket and use a good amount of high temp gasket maker sealant.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree with above. I wouldn’t reuse them as is, I’d either weld up and resurface, or replace with new/good used.

kjr6306

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They probably didnt cause any performance issues in their current state but used ones a cheap on fleabay so may as well change them while they are off.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take to local machine shop, weld and finish or go DIY - clean out the gash with a dremel bit and fix with JB weld, then figure 8 it on a plate of glass with wet sandpaper (I soak the paper with WD-40) and to level the patch job and the other surface area. Verify the placement of the new gasket to make sure all is square then bolt it all back together.