• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exhaust pipe removal and installation SX230 - 2004

CALP1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did buy it in 2004 new and boating on salt water only, it has about 400hrs. Never had a problem with this boat, but always have done the flushing with Salt Away which I recommend for all salty dogs out there.
At picture attached I have to check the Exhaust Joint Seal (17), because it could have failed and water is getting into oil by exhaust valve, at the same time I will check the pipe condition also.(water lines are clear but pisser is not working properly)
After checking and probably changing it I will do a water test and check for water on oil if water is still there then I will go to check the engine head but the pipes are the first step.
The attached picture is from ny boat service manual of which I did buy many years ago but the manual does bot specify or may be I am not reading it correctly, if I have to remove the engine before removing the pipes or I can remove the pipes without removing the engine.
So this is the question for anyone on this forum that may know.
Appreciate the helpE4895F17-E307-48C2-A6F9-B00A6F9BF166.jpeg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe you should be able to remove it without pulling the engine. Is it starboard or port? Clearance differs. Seems like I recall the exhaust manifold itself is usually the water leak corrosion culprit (not the downstream pipes pictured). If you think you are in deep and will need to replace major components, you might want to just pull it and do a partial tear down inspection replacing what looks bad. If you are just trying to eliminate something and run it in between guesses, removing. Igor be too much of a pain and you may be better off being a contortionist. Sort of a pick your poison scenario.

CALP1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe you should be able to remove it without pulling the engine. Is it starboard or port? Clearance differs. Seems like I recall the exhaust manifold itself is usually the water leak corrosion culprit (not the downstream pipes pictured). If you think you are in deep and will need to replace major components, you might want to just pull it and do a partial tear down inspection replacing what looks bad. If you are just trying to eliminate something and run it in between guesses, removing. Igor be too much of a pain and you may be better off being a contortionist. Sort of a pick your poison scenario.
Yes I am trying to eliminate what I think could be the first thing to check then get into fresh water, run it, then come back and check for water on oil and so on until I find the culprit, so the first thing I want to check is that pipe seal (17) and the general condition of the pipes, pending on the pipe conditions I may also take out the manifold, after checking those and run the boat on fresh water and if water is still on oil I will then go to the head and so on. The starboard engine is the one that had a good amount of milk oil so I will start on it, but I will be doing the same on the port engine also. i thank you for thr time trying to help. 👍🖖

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m pretty confident that you can remove the exhaust while the engine is in the boat. The port side would be much easier though. I seem to remember that years ago, a few guys having issues with the manifold right at the head (I think they were also salt water boats). Good luck with the inspection.

CALP1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m pretty confident that you can remove the exhaust while the engine is in the boat. The port side would be much easier though. I seem to remember that years ago, a few guys having issues with the manifold right at the head (I think they were also salt water boats). Good luck with the inspection.
I thank you very much. I will keep you posted, planing to start this weekend. 🖖👍

CALP1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am finally trying to start the job of taking the Exhaust Pipe 3 removal in order to first check Exhaust Join Seal and then go to he Manifold, once I have water on oil. I already know I can take the Exhaust Pipe 3 and probably the Manifold without taking the engines out (I am doing tests on water after every attempt to fix the problem), but initiating the job today and now I am not sure I need to take out the Air Filter Case and all its attachments before attempting to take out the Exhaust Pipe 3...

05F1F6A2-EDAB-4CC8-AE58-10DD3947716E.jpeg05F1F6A2-EDAB-4CC8-AE58-10DD3947716E.jpeg

ChicoTheCop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 06 SX230HO also water in the oil. I’m hoping I don’t have to take it to the shop for this repair. But I don’t have the means to raise the motor out. I’m hoping your right in accessing the seal without lifting the motor

CALP1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 06 SX230HO also water in the oil. I’m hoping I don’t have to take it to the shop for this repair. But I don’t have the means to raise the motor out. I’m hoping your right in accessing the seal without lifting the motor
I have decided to check all systems, so both engines are coming out.....1700.00 only to have both engines out......