• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Expected top speed

DSCLLC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
242 Limited E-series - took her out on Labor Day and finally got a chance to open her all the way up. With 4 adults and 2 small kids (and 1/2 tank of gas), I saw 45 mph on flat water with virtually no wind. Does that sound about right?

I can get 48 max but not for long. I did ribbon delete.

242 Limited E-series - took her out on Labor Day and finally got a chance to open her all the way up. With 4 adults and 2 small kids (and 1/2 tank of gas), I saw 45 mph on flat water with virtually no wind. Does that sound about right?
Yes with that load. You’ll get more by yourself. Make sure Bimini is closed because it provides quiet a bit resistance.

That is what I get.

Temperature and humidy have an impact. I have seen 51 mph averge two way run with two people, half a tank, low humidy, 60 degrees, and all non essential weight removed. True useage for me is with 4-8 people and lots of extra stuff from giant batteries, amps, subs, ballast system, giant inverter, wake boards, surf board, cooler, etc. At 90 degrees, high humidity, full tank, the afore mentioned normal load out and a clean hull 45 -47 is it in normal big lake water conditions for me.

All of those numbers are on a 4 star CARB boat too. I did head to head testing of a new 4 star carb and 3 star boat. The 3 star seemed to have just a bit more torque which makes a slight difference in turns and heavy loads but only 1 mph difference in top end speed with minimal load. I think temp and humdity may impact the 4 star just a bit more too. The fuel economy is better on the 4 star which with as much as we use it is far more important to us than 1-2 mph.
There is hardly anything that passes us when at wot which is not often to be honest. Of course when the poker shoot out comes to town I drool at the boats flying by but don’t envy the insane fuel bills.

I agree with @Mainah in his assessment. I'd also add that elevation also plays a large role. In the last tank of fuel up at Lake Tahoe (6,228 feet) my top speed was 32mph and the engines topped out at 6200-6300rpm. That's the normal top speed up there for the boat. Now next week at Lake Shasta (980 feet) she will turn over 7,000 and hit closer to the 45-50mph speed. Things I've found affect top speed are:
1). Weight including fuel, supplies, basically, anything you have put in the boat.
2). People. Everyone adds weight
3). Ballast bags full? Same day, same load, same people. 5900rpm with empty bags is 25-26mph. Fill those bags, and you're at 10-11mph.
4). Wind, Tide, and/or current. going against any or all will slow you down.
5). Bimini up....you just have a sail out.
6). Mods. ribbon delete, new cones, etc. I haven't done any of those yet, but presume they will affect performance.

I believe the important thing is that you are getting a somewhat consistent response from day-to-day, on the same body of water, under similar circumstances.

As others have said, your numbers sound about right.

Thanks everyone.

Back