• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Extend the life of your Boat Cover

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still use the original 10 year old cover my Boat came with and it's still in pretty good condition, I do take care of it and every few months i take it to my local laundry and they clean it and make a good job of it, I live in a small fishing village and it's right on the coast so although my Boats kept in a Boat shed at my local Marina it still suffers from age and the climate conditions, I find that as i use my Boat quite a lot and with doing jobs and cleaning the cover is taken off and put back on a lot, I find that certain parts of the cover suffer more wear than others i refer to around the cleat's and places where more pressure is applied to pull the cover over the cleats to make it fit good, I do a few jobs on Boats over here especially Boats that are owned by Europeans who only come and use them for holidays so i tend to use local tradesmen who i trust to do a good job as you could see when i wrote the thread about changing the Glass in the front hatch again i used a local Guy who i trust, You will see what i consider to be a good idea in the photos i have put on here, Again this is not carved in stone and i am always open to ideas, This works for me and i think conditions here are very testing, I hope you find it useful, I look forward to your feedback, Good Luck.

IMG_1696.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG Hole appears around a stress point where the back of the cover goes over the boarding ladder securing strap hook.

IMG_1703.JPG
IMG_1704.JPG
Take the cover to the trim shop he's a good Guy he knows exactly what to do

IMG_1698.JPG IMG_1699.JPG IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1698.JPG IMG_1708.JPG
Job done hole repaired and he has removed all the other rubber surrounds and vents and triple lined the surrounding areas so when you apply pressure to pull the cover over the cleats etc there is no chance of damage occurring, maybe not a thing of beauty but i don't do beauty, It's practical and strong and does the job, It's a cover not an an evening dress and it's there to serve a purpose when you remove the cover that's when you find the thing of beauty, Let me know your thoughts, Good Luck.

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper : NICE and well-thought about write up ! EXCELLENT suggestions. Many Thanks for this.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well .......... You are so very welcome. It was well deserved. Great post, Geoff !

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper , this will be useful to a lot of us that depend on the cover. We all need to find that "good guy" and your idea of using the local cleaner as an option is right on. I think my cleaner/laundromat could and would be willing to do something similar to what you suggested. That sure beats replacing the $500+ cover. Thanks for the write up

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great job. I do suggest though that you do not cover the ladder with the cover for that exact reason. We did that once in 2007 and saw that it would put too much strain on the cover so stopped including the ladder when covering.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great job. I do suggest though that you do not cover the ladder with the cover for that exact reason. We did that once in 2007 and saw that it would put too much strain on the cover so stopped including the ladder when covering.
I think we were at cross purposes here, There is a chord that comes out at the rear to go around the ladder hook not the actual ladder and then the ladder retention rubber holds the chord in place so as to stop the cover creeping up onto the swim platform, If you study the first and second Photo where you see my finger going through the hole you will see what i mean, Good Luck and thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper , this will be useful to a lot of us that depend on the cover. We all need to find that "good guy" and your idea of using the local cleaner as an option is right on. I think my cleaner/laundromat could and would be willing to do something similar to what you suggested. That sure beats replacing the $500+ cover. Thanks for the write up
Where i live is a fishing village and consequently there are many small businesses connected to the boating industry so as they all need work it's not difficult to get jobs done at the right price if they are jobs i don't have the tools to complete myself, I just happened to pop into see the laundry lady to collect a Duvet that she had cleaned for me and i asked her about doing the Boat cover and she said ok, She charged me $8 and it was lovely and smelled good also she must have used $5 in Fabric conditioner and washing powder.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No fishing villages near by me:panda:
Looks like the hard way then hang it over a wall and pressure wash it only thing is you wont be able to use Fabric conditioner but it will certainly clean it, I've done that a few times before i just happened to ask the Laundry lady, Good Luck

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We've washed our jet ski covers with GREAT succcess, and then hang them outside to dry.\
Super results.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I followed this guy into town today, Tow a Boat ok tow a Jetski ok but a Palm Tree? Thai people never cease to amaze me the police never bother them just live and let live that's there Philosophy.

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've washed our jet ski covers with GREAT succcess, and then hang them outside to dry.\
Super results.
Good I'm pleased they worked out good.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where i live is a fishing village and consequently there are many small businesses connected to the boating industry so as they all need work it's not difficult to get jobs done at the right price if they are jobs i don't have the tools to complete myself, I just happened to pop into see the laundry lady to collect a Duvet that she had cleaned for me and i asked her about doing the Boat cover and she said ok, She charged me $8 and it was lovely and smelled good also she must have used $5 in Fabric conditioner and washing powder.
My local dry cleaner would have charged me $8 for the consult and heavy duty hanger!