• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Extended Warranty???

bigd1634

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We are going tomorrow to finalize a deal on a 195S. It is my understanding that the boat has a lifetime warranty for the hull/decking, 1 year on engine and jet system, then a 3 year on the rest of the boat. They are offering 3 extended warranties. The first is a protection for the surfaces which I am declining since I take great care of my currently 20 year old boat and plan to continue that with the new one. The other 2 are a 5 year on the engine and jet system, and an 8 year on the rest of the boat. Does anyone suggest these or purchased them? Has anyone had any issues with the 1.8 supercharged motor needing repairs outside of general maintenance after the first year? I have a Mercruiser 3.0 now and the only issues I ever had were maintenance and a carb rebuild. My major concern would be the supercharger. I was also looking at the 8 year extension on the rest of the boat, specifically for the electronics. The 195S has the 7 inch connext system. I priced it out and it is $2000 plus to replace right now. In a few years that may go down or there could be used replacements. I am just wondering what the possibility of it failing would be and if anyone has had any issues with them.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
There is also a 1 year cosmetic warranty (upholstery and gel coat).

Is what they are offering provided through Yamaha or 3rd parties? Personally, I would not consider a 3rd party warranty.

What is the list price and what is the selling price of the warranty? Do you tend to keep your stuff a long time? An extended warranty for the engine is great if you want to resell in 2-3 years, but probably worthless in the long run if you will keep it 10 years.

The only threads I remember about failed Connext is on new boats. Components usually fail early or late in life (bathtub curve).

We bought the Yamaha 5 year engine only extended warranty (Yamaha Protection Plus) because the dealer offered it at a significant discount off list price (he was making about $100).

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have not heard about any engine issues since the old timing chain problem that was resolved in 2016 (I believe) so I don't know that I would go for it if it is a large expense. One thing to consider is if it transfers with the boat or not. If I was going to buy a used boat an extended warranty is something I would look for, but that only matters if you will probably sell in within that period obviously. Also, is the warranty through Yamaha or a 3rd party?

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have 14 hours since sept. broke it in properly, did the 10 hour service at 10 hours. zero issues so far. I got all of the warranties, but Im not a grease monkey to work on something if its broken. you pay for convenience and piece of mind. basically its insurance there if you need it is the way i look at it.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought the extended for piece of mind. It was like 3 or 4 years "bumper to bumper", with no deductible. Might never need it, but I sleep good at night knowing that I wont have to pay to replace an engine..

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We are going tomorrow to finalize a deal on a 195S.
Congrats on the boat.
Personally we never take extended warranties - they're high profit money maker insurance plans for the companies as statistically they don't pay off for the consumer. With all the money we've saved over the years by not getting extended warranties, we can easily pay for any issues that isn't covered under the insurance policies and we're still way ahead.

JetBoat_Canuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I don't know if this would apply to you or not. I am in Canada and purchased SX190. Yamaha is giving 2 free additional years if you finance through them. In addition i=I purchased another 2 years (Total 5 years) for another ~$620 CAD.

I know statistically the consumer loses on extended warranties (otherwise they wouldn't offer them!) but for the additional marginal cost (for me) and being my first boat I went ahead with it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetBoat_Canuck That is a pretty good deal you got. You are doing great.

You will always have those who rail against buying warranties and then those that buy them. Everyone needs to find their own comfort zone. If you lose an engine, which probability is very low, the cost for a new engine is many times more than what a warranty is going to cost.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't know if this would apply to you or not. I am in Canada and purchased SX190. Yamaha is giving 2 free additional years if you finance through them. In addition i=I purchased another 2 years (Total 5 years) for another ~$620 CAD.
:Welcome:
That's a good deal and you bought at the right time to get it. We bought last spring and got a discount on the price, $2000 rebate, free mooring cover, and discount on accessories. We don't buy extended warranties and prefer to pocket the cash in the event we need it later (in 20 years never had a situation where it could have been used with cars, boats, appliances, etc), but in your situation and your first boat hat's a great deal and I would have considered it at that price too.