• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Extended Warranty??

Wmacjetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi All,
Just picked up my new Yamaha 210sx and of course the finance person asked if I want to purchase the extended warranty ($2k for an additional 4 yrs). With car purchases I always stay away from the extended warranty but would love some feedback/thoughts on one for a boat.
Thanks in advance!
Bill

I‘m the same with extended car warranties, i don’t get them. However, I did get the 4 year extended for my boat because:
1. One year warranty on a $70k+ boat is low for me.
2. It has 2 engines (like yours) and a bunch of electronics. More stuff to go wrong.
3. It’s a new model.
4. Unlike cars, there aren’t a lot of dealers out there and my short experience has been that they charge an arm and a leg for service.
5. Parts are more expensive because there aren’t a lot of aftermarket manufacturers out there.
6. I don’t have a good feel,on the reliability of yamaha boats yet.

also, you can negotiate the costbof the warranty. If he is asking 2k, I would tell them you’ll take it for 1.5k.

my 2cents.

Hi All,
Just picked up my new Yamaha 210sx and of course the finance person asked if I want to purchase the extended warranty ($2k for an additional 4 yrs). With car purchases I always stay away from the extended warranty but would love some feedback/thoughts on one for a boat.
Thanks in advance!
Bill
You can also purchase it directly from Yamaha before your 1st year is up. They will start to market to you via email in about 6 months. I bought mine right around 1 month before the first year expiration and they kept discounting it as months went on. They will also let you put it on your credit card and take it out over 4 monthly payments if you wish when you buy it directly,.

When you reduce 2k to 4 years it comes out to $1.36 per day...I'd jump on that.

Also double check that the Warranty if it's for an additional 4 years. Mine in 2017 was a total of 4 years not an additional past the 1 year.

I also purchased the Y.E.S warranty with my boat. Just remember, your warranty is only as good as your relationship with your dealer, and your dealers relationship with Yamaha.
Establish a good relationship with your service dept. manager (and warranty administrator) and they will go the extra mile for you to get issues covered under warranty.

I was on the fence, but ultimately decided to do it and bought mine the day of my one-year anniversary, directly from Yamaha. As @HangOutdoors said, they let me spread out payments over 4 months. I purchased 4 additional years (total of 5), and my rationale was similar to @Drag - given the electronics, I figure one bad connext module would pay for itself.

I just don't get the whole "Develop a relationship with your dealership" thing. I bought my boat in 2018 and haven't been back to the dealership since. Maybe it is because I got a pre-Covid boat, or maybe the workers were on their A-game that day, but I have had zero issues. If I were to walk in there today with a Y.E.S. issue, I would be put in queue with everyone else. They don't care about me. I haven't bought a new boat every year with issues and built a "relationship".

With a high dollar boat, with newer tech as yours is, maybe? But with my simple boat (no Connext), it was a waste for me.

I also don't get the "We won't service you boat because you didn't buy from us"? I have Y.E.S., and as a Yamaha dealership, you will most certainly service my boat. Dammit! What is that Yamaha corporate number again!?!

PS: Maybe I had a little too much to drink tonight and my true feelings are showing. :)

Last edited:
@Wishfull1 I agree with what you are saying! But, there are only so many dealers in an area and some don't have many at all. It is not like a Ford Dealership where you can throw a stone and find service elsewhere. Only so many boats can go through a boat dealer service center at one time, usually with just a few mechanics/service Technicians. Regardless of what brand you buy, I have heard and seen that they take of their customers who bought from them and continue to buy things through them first or at least with preference. Now whether or not this is the case every where I don't know. But I always stop up at my dealer when I am in the area and buy oil or other things through him as well as discuss boats and such. Just to be on the safe side.

My worst fear is losing an engine, although extremely remote possibility, that is why I bought the warranty.

My worst fear is losing an engine, although extremely remote possibility, that is why I bought the warranty.
My dealer is about an hour away and I never pass by them during my normal travels. Otherwise, I may pick up an oil change kit, but currently it is online (JBP) for me.

The engine is my biggest fear as well. With two of them, I would doubly scared. :) Although we don't hear of many failures, at oem engine cost, maybe good insurance.

Last edited:
Back