• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Extending Tower Retention Cables--2018 212X--Thanks Haknslash

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just wanted to share what I ended up doing to extend the cables on our 212SE. The goal was to have a single new wire.

I purchased a roll of 1/8 steel wire and a few crimping loop sleeves to get the job done. I crimped and hammered the top sleeve to fit inside the mounting block then used the same hardware from the original wire for the bottom and crimped the sleeve under it.

The key is measuring, and measuring again. I ended up with an approximate 22 3/4” wire.

Top mount:
1633838636398.jpeg
Bottom:
1633838751068.jpeg
1633838896823.jpeg
1633838935150.jpeg

Hardware used:
Cable Railing Kits, VIGRUE 1/8 inch Wire Cable Rope T316 Stainless Steel Marin Grade 33 Feet, 30PCS Aluminum Crimp Sleeves and 12PCS Stainless Steel Thimble for Railing, Decking, Picture Hanging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HN1J894/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5TCX1ATST3Y984BHYK4B

ithinkifloat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread. Found these on eBay. Similar in design, but look professionally roll swaged. Looks like someone lost patience with Yamaha's design flaw and decided to take things into their own hands!

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread. Found these on eBay. Similar in design, but look professionally roll swaged. Looks like someone lost patience with Yamaha's design flaw and decided to take things into their own hands!

Awesome find thanks for sharing!

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Great find! Reading the description, it looks like they extended the cable 5 1/2 inches and the threaded end 5/8" to get the 6" total additional length I had originally spliced in. If they are manufactured/roll pressed well, this is definitely the way to go.

Jeff

ithinkifloat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Both the button stops and the threaded end are roll swaged and stamped with markings of 316 stainless. The threading is a little bit longer than OEM as well so we'd have a bit more ability for fine tuning. I set mine to the minimum length (nuts tightened all the way up the threading) and it worked just fine. We now keep our boat protected in our garage every minute it's not being used.

Because we have the wakeboard racks, I did wind up buying a 6mm T-Handle Hex wrench, which makes quick work of rotating the racks inward. All in all, moving the boat in and out of the garage used to be a 2 person job because I'd have to fully disconnect the lanyards from the tower, position something to hold it, move the boat, and then reconnect the lanyards while someone held the tower in a mid-position long enough for me to prove that I know most of the swear words in the English language.