• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fault Code Question - Fixed Issue Fault Codes went away, but Check Engine Light won't turn off?

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Engine = BRP Rotax 250hp (2015 Chaparral Vortex 203 VRX). First time out for the season and I could tell that it was misfiring. Check engine light came on and I was able to get the fault codes associated P0300 & P0303. Went back to dock and investigated. Found one of the ignition coils had popped loose (makes sense based on fault codes). Replaced all spark plugs since I was doing my spring service. Took boat back out and it ran like a charm, no misfiring issues...Problem is the check engine light is still on, but no fault codes showing up. I disconnected the battery hoping that would reset it, but no luck, check engine light still on, but no fault codes. Appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I believe you either need to take it to a dealer, or buy a diagnostic tool to do at home. There are a couple options for home units. Candoo Buds do a little searching both on web and this site on these. I don’t have either but am considering the candoo.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I purchased the Candoo as my dealer is over 2 hours away. Money well spent as time is to valuable. @ScarabMike has write ups on how to use it. Just search...

Dale Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've got the exact same issue under nearly the same circumstance. I changed the spark plugs and then forgot to plug in a coil pac on the starboard engine. The fault code lead me right to the coil pac but now I have a check engine light with no codes showing. I have reset the light several times with the Candoo but it comes right back on when I start up. Can anyone give me some ideas as to how I should proceed. I have the same issue for the dealer they are quite a distance from me.
Thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've got the exact same issue under nearly the same circumstance. I changed the spark plugs and then forgot to plug in a coil pac on the starboard engine. The fault code lead me right to the coil pac but now I have a check engine light with no codes showing. I have reset the light several times with the Candoo but it comes right back on when I start up. Can anyone give me some ideas as to how I should proceed. I have the same issue for the dealer they are quite a distance from me.
Thanks
Strange it's not throwing a code. Does the Candoo tell/show you anything? Does it know the fault is there? How do you clear the engine light?

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
FYI - Not sure if this will work for your issue, but I was told that after I fixed my issue and the fault codes went away, then it would take 4-5 engines cycles for the check engine to go away. Sure enough, after my 3rd or 4th outing, the check engine light went away. Hope this helps.

Dale Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
WE have already gone through half a dozen cycles so that isn't working for me. Thanks for the suggestion

Dale Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Strange it's not throwing a code. Does the Candoo tell/show you anything? Does it know the fault is there? How do you clear the engine light?
It clears when we hook up the Candoo and then shows no faults

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It clears when we hook up the Candoo and then shows no faults
Next time you're out, don't turn off the boat and hook it up. Strange it just disappears. You can also check the fault screen and leave it on that screen to see if a code appears.

I have an engine light that keeps coming back and throw an error code of P0340. I kinda gotten used to it and the boat runs fine. Go figure...