• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Gelcoat Repair (Picture heavy)

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should start out by saying I have ZERO experience with body work, so this was a first for me. Special thanks to @tdonoughue, @YamaHog, and @mrcleanr6. Your posts about how to do this gave me the confidence to give it a try!!!

Had my first dock encounter. Long story which I will skip to avoid marital counseling.

1.jpg

Decided to give it a try to fix it myself.

#1 goal - Protect the boat
#2 goal - Look Pretty

ordered the Suede Grey Gel coat repair kit from Spectrum via their distributor iBoat . ($35)

Taped off the big spot and mixed applied the gel. I did not tape the scratch I jut applied the gel.

5.jpg

I did not tape the scratch I jut applied the gel.
7.jpg

I let it dry 4 hours. I then stated wet sanding. (Take your time here. Sand a little and check, then sand a little more)

I bought 3m wet sand paper and a sanding block at Walmart (Automotive section). 400, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit About ($20) in total

11.jpg

After sanding with 400 and 800, I was pretty sure I ruined my boat, but I was committed at this point. Use the 400 and 800 to sand the repair down to almost flush with the existing gelcoat.

Caution, I did get a little to aggressive with the 800 and removed a little too much. If this is your first try, spend more time with the 1000 and less with the 400 and 800.

12 (2).jpg

As I moved up to the 1000, 1500, and 2000 paper, I began to have hope again. I found the 1000 grit was my favorite paper to work with. When I was finished with the 1000 grit, the surface was smooth to the touch, Even thought I could still see where the filler was, I couldn't feel it with my fingers if I ran it across the surface. I then went on to the 1500 and finally the 2000.

14.jpg

After that It was time to polish. I purchased a $100 7in Rotary polisher from Harbor freight( Probably could have gotten away with the $30 one) and a Lake Country 100% wool Pad off amazon ($12). I first polished with Meguiar's 105 on the rotary. I followed up with the Meguiar's 205 polish. For this step I borrowed a friends 6In Dual Action Polisher and used a Black Polishing foam pad. I could have used the rotary, but the DA is easier to use for the finishing stage. Like magic, the sanding scratches disappeared and the gel looked perfect. Watch some YouTube videos. It's very easy to do the polishing if you have the right setup. The polish was expensive $30 per bottle, but I hew have enough to last me years!)

In the end. I'm happy with this first attempt. I need to go back and fix where I over sanded, but it was starting to rain and I had to call it a day.

15.jpg16.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 96
Where did you get that Tuning Fork spare tire cover?

looks really good. How pissed were you that you gouged your boat? I can only imagine....

But you learned how to repair small gelcoat defects and got it done, good job.

I was faced with rubbing the dock or throwing the admiral off the bow with a quick reverse. Unfortunately there was a cleat that caused the gouge. Fortunately, it was just the gel coat and not fiberglass damage. Next time she goes swimming if she does it again?

I've been heavy handed on the throttle a few times (by accident) Surprises the crew when your at wake speeds at do it. No one was injured and now its just a story.

Nicely done! You may even not need to go back and fix anything. Anyone looking that closely at your boat is probably... you.

Take one beer out of petty cash.

Looks great! The wet sanding is what scares everybody, especially on a new boat. I've done some minor wet sanding after touching up my car and polishing out and I can say that there is a bit more room for error working with gelcoat on boats. Both repairs turned out well. It's amazing how the polishing will take you from that ugly dull haze to nice glossy finish.

Wow, balls of steel. It takes some nerve to start sanding on your boat. Nice work!

Used your thread here to help guide me through repairing two gouges in my gel coat, thankfully it was in the white so it’s much easier to hide some imperfections.. BUT, one hiccup, I thought I had bought 1000 grit sand paper, the packaging did not match the block.1000 on the package, 2000 on the block. So I saw what you meant how you can get sand happy with the 400-800.

I don’t have any pictures sadly but I will share my experience. I’ve never done gel repair before either but figured it was kind of like drywall work which I’ve done before.

The first gel gouge was from me trying to fit in a tight area and swung the end around and caught the rear starboard side on a dock. It was about an inch long of a gouge. This was very easy to repair due to it being on a flat area. I taped it off, put the gel coat (from iboats) repair on with a paint stick and then some rubber that I cut to form as an applicator. I used a sandwich bag to try to shape it and get the air bubbles out, it worked okay but I wish I had cut the bag in half and only used one side of the sandwich bag, if that makes sense. It was easy to accidentally make some ripples with the sandwich bag. I let it dry for a whole day because it started raining 3 hours after I applied it.. I then realized I wish I had removed the painters tape, I had to sand a ton to completely remove it from the gel that had dried over it. I started with 400 to get some big ripples out. Moved to 800 to get it smoother. I then went back and forth with 800 and 1500 since that’s all I had. Took awhile but it worked, I moved on to 2000 before I cleaned it and put rubbing/polishing compound on.

The second larger gouge was from trusting a friend while docking the boat, he has experience but not jet boat experience……..Well he first slowed down way too fast and dunked the nose as a wake was coming lol. So we had an inch or two of water in the front, making the ladies freak out (we were NOT going to sink ?‍♂️). So this led me to not paying attention to my buddy approaching the dock way too fast while trying to tell the gals that it’s okay, a boat can get wet. He nailed the nose of the boat and caused a pretty good large gouge. Very thankful it seems the 230 models were built pretty sturdy because I was expecting glass damage but after looking through the anchor locker it was just gel. I applied this the same way, just larger area taped off. Used a sandwich bag again to shape it which works great, but like I said, cut the bag in half so only one layer of the plastic is used. This repair was more tricky due to the multiple rounded edges I had to work around. This is where I wish I had 1000 grit sand paper. I used 400-800 to sand down the rougher edges, then went back and forth between 800 and 1500. I got a little sand happy on the very pointed edges but some touch up paint will make it look fine. It took awhile using 1500 to make it look perfect-ish. 2000 for a bit and then again with rubbing/polishing compound. The perfectionist in me will always know it’s not normal but the wife says “you can’t even tell.” So I’ll take that as a win!

Some takeaways:

iboats has the perfect color match, I almost felt like I didn’t even need to polish it up, in my experience.

As soon as you get the ripples & large imperfections out, move on to a higher number grit, you can always go back to a smaller number.

This definitely takes time, longer than our human hands are capable of in my opinion haha! So work slow, check often.

Using a squirt bottle with water is perfect, I have one for the grill, so I just used that to wet sand it down.

Lastly, don’t let your buddy who has no experience docking a jet boat do it unless it’s just you and him! ???

I'm debating on fixing my self inflicted wound. It's up on the bow where I hit a piling and from then on learned to "go only as fast as you are willing to hit something". I keep it as a reminder... good winter project though. Maybe I've learned my lesson now after 4 years.

I'm debating on fixing my self inflicted wound. It's up on the bow where I hit a piling and from then on learned to "go only as fast as you are willing to hit something". I keep it as a reminder... good winter project though. Maybe I've learned my lesson now after 4 years.

It's not that tough, go slow and you'll be fine. Be very gentle with any sandpaper less that 1500 grit.

Back