• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time Owner

bowser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi; not new to boating but looking at my first boat I would own and I would like to go jet.

Boat is well within my means but for my first one I don't want to go too crazy expensive but I want to go new. I work a lot of hours and want to know when I hit they key it will go and I am very good about maint so if i look after it from new it should be good.

I'm not hearing very good things about Rotax jet boats. Is it just talk? I'm finding lots of 2017 new boats from Glastron and Chaparral here. I'd love someone who actually owns one to give me some feedback on their experiences

Thanks!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Probably some good deal son the Glastron models. From what I read on another thread, they may have dropped the line. I cannot confirm or deny, but others were saying they removed them from the Glastron site. That would be a first indication of them being discontinued.

Good luck,

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi @bowser! Looking at your sig, do you own a Yamaha now? Not that that matters, just curious.

I own a Chaparral and I love it. The engines are not the problem as they've been around for a very long time and are sound (with regular maintenance). Most complaints and questions concern the iNR and the electronics. These systems have sensors everywhere that may throw code errors which must/should be addressed. Every boat has its quirks and if you're handy and don't mind asking questions you'll be fine.

Not sure if I answered your question but it's a start. If your budget allows try getting something newer than older as technology and maintenance concerns change (for the better) with newer models.

bowser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @bowser! Looking at your sig, do you own a Yamaha now? Not that that matters, just curious.

I own a Chaparral and I love it. The engines are not the problem as they've been around for a very long time and are sound (with regular maintenance). Most complaints and questions concern the iNR and the electronics. These systems have sensors everywhere that may throw code errors which must/should be addressed. Every boat has its quirks and if you're handy and don't mind asking questions you'll be fine.

Not sure if I answered your question but it's a start. If your budget allows try getting something newer than older as technology and maintenance concerns change (for the better) with newer models.
No I don't own a Yammie. I didn't realize till after there was a non-boater option lol.

What about Supercharger maint? I've heard guys rebuilding or doing major overhauls ever 150hours or so? I'm a low level mechanic. I can do simply remove and re-intalls but I'm not interested in doing complete rebuilds.

I found a left over 2017 Glastron GT187 w/ 250HP Rotax.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
What about Supercharger maint? I've heard guys rebuilding or doing major overhauls ever 150hours or so? I'm a low level mechanic. I can do simply remove and re-intalls but I'm not interested in doing complete rebuilds.
They changed the maintenance in 2017 to maintenance free superchargers. That's why I stated to try to buy new if your budget allows. Please search the forums on superchargers particularly in the Rotax and Scarab sections.

I do not know anything about Glastron jet boats. Sorry.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I found a left over 2017 Glastron GT187 w/ 250HP Rotax.
Not trying to nosy but where do you live and what type of boating will you be doing. Will you be skiing on a lake or be in the ocean type water (salt).

bowser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not trying to nosy but where do you live and what type of boating will you be doing. Will you be skiing on a lake or be in the ocean type water (salt).
Lake, river but primarily shallow type water (fresh). I live in Ottawa Canada.

The boat I'm looking at they are offering 5 year engine warranty on the Glastron but only after the dealer talked to Glastron in attempts to move the boat. With the line discontinued, and it isn't spec'd necessarily the best they are struggling to move it.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Lake, river but primarily shallow type water (fresh). I live in Ottawa Canada.

The boat I'm looking at they are offering 5 year engine warranty on the Glastron but only after the dealer talked to Glastron in attempts to move the boat. With the line discontinued, and it isn't spec'd necessarily the best they are struggling to move it.
IMHO, if it were me, with the line being discontinued, first jet boat, I'd pass. I prefer Chaparral. Very pleased with what I have.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my humble opinion most issues show up very early. a 2 or 3 year old model that drives perfect during test drive with all systems working well will probably prove more reliable than throwing the dice on a new boat...