• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

First time sucking something up.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And the cleanouts didn't help one bit! Had to take the pump apart at home for this 1.5" bad boy
20140823_141349.jpg

The clean outs help greatly to cut out a rope or get the grass out. And occasionally you can get driftwood out. But once it is wedged between the impeller and the wear ring...forget it, it is generally going to be a pump pull, at least that is the easiest way. Glad you got it out! Another good piece of equipment to have on the boat, is a good bright flashlight, and a mechanics mirror on an extension wand. You can set the mirror deep in the hole and even with water in there, a bright flashlight will illuminate and reflect the light into the impeller and you can see what your dealing with.

@Speedling Wow! That looks like my first time too. The only difference was me letting it dry out and shrink over the work week and it pulled right out after that.

As someone who hasn't joined this club yet I'm going to ask a silly question: Can you run that engine well enough to get home with that thing jammed in there? Or did you have to limp back on only one?

That is a good question @biglar155 . In some instances, the jamb will kill the engine. In others, it will squeal bad as the wood gets hot while being rubbed against the wear ring while spinning. And in even other instances, it will vibrate so bad you won't want to run it anyway...this was my experience. Admittedly, I didn't get the wood out using the technique I described, with a mirror and light. We were at the end of our day and picked up the wood coming back to the marina. So my run was short but I did stop and inspect, If I had had long reach pliers, I think I may have gotten it on the water. But I did get it when I got home and used a long ass screwdriver to pry it out from the impeller hold, and then pulled it out with pliers.

That's a bummer @Speedling Hopefully it didn't ruin your day on the water.

PS. Welcome to the club of clearing out mystery pump debris.

I've been the victim of chunks of wood a few times. I've never had to pull the pump to remove debris. Another way to get it out is to get a "hose tool" and you can usually pry it loose from under the boat, through the intake grate. On the trailer, of course. Anyway, heres a pic of the hose tool. Many tool companies have a version:
http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/rtoxlb.jpg

I used no wake mode no problem but it caused vibrations over 5k. Drove boat about 5 miles dropping someone off and then back to dock.
Normally wood goes under the boat but some crazy driver decided on doing some crazy maneuver stuff and then it appened. Also had just passed a boat pulling 5 tubers and laughed.
We got off the water in time for the storm anyways.

I hate looking at these stories with only having a single engine, if the inevitable happens I'm stuffed :(

Back