• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flooded Engine Compartment ar240

austinrb1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hello folks. Wish my first post was better. Yesterday evening I noticed the swim platform taking water more than normal. At first I blamed the high winds. We wanted to hit the marina that was less than a quarter mile away for dinner, and went to start the engines. Engine one, no problem, engine two, no turn. First look was the plugs. They both had a ton of water over them, so I reseated even though they seemed to sit fine.

Same thing with the engines. So I checked the engine bay. Water up to the carpet line as you see in the pics. Here’s the big oops. My bilge was on, but the fuse popped and I never noticed. It worked fine when I hit the reset. I spent about 20 minutes scooping water out with the bilge working too. Dove in the water to check plug. Damnit.

Now, keep in mind it is now dark, 2 kids and an angry stressed wife. I tried to SOS using lights and horn for another 30 min. Nothing. Called the marina, nothing. So, I fired up the engine that worked and limped in.

When I went this morning to load the boat, I accidentally started engine 2. Operative word, it started. I shut it off right away. Our service dept is closed until Tuesday. What to do?

Here are pics of oil color as well.

Attachments

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as the oil color it could just be clean oil but change it just to be safe. If the engine fired up you should be good but a few things to do. First get all the water out and let it dry. Remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over without the plugs to make sure there isn't any water in the cylinders. Maybe new plugs depending on their condition. Water shouldn't get in your oil unless it was sucked in through the intake or seeped in through a loose oil filter. I'm sure others can chime in on what I missed.

Oh I forgot, replace the fuse for the pump, install a 2nd pump and maybe a water alarm for the engine bay.

austinrb1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for such a prompt reply. The oil is hopefully just clean. I have about 8 hrs on the boat after changing it out.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @subysti first thing I would do is pull the plugs and crank the motor if no water cones out you are probably fine. If it does keep cranking till you get most of it out then you will change the oil several time in a row till it looks clear. I didn't notice did you fine the cause of the leak?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Normally if the oil has water it looks milky.. That oil looks cleab but I agree with above.. Change it! Turn motor over with out plugs.

Just to be on the safe side I would change oil in both if the water is that high. ..

Also many if us have Putin a 2nd bilge pump and many wife it straight to the battery with an inline fuse. Redundancy is a good thing..

I hope works out and its just a close call for u...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like the engines are ok. So what caused the leak, missing drain plug?

austinrb1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks again for the help. Stupidity was the cause. I failed to put in the plug. I even went to check the plug after the other typical checklist items, but a guy stopped me to talk. Guess I got distracted.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with the other guys and would add that it would be a good idea to get it back on the water and run it hard. Get it hot. Have a plan in case something happens but it is unlikely anything will. They are pretty robust engines.
If this was salt water then I think we need to revisit this.