• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Folks that have installed SeaDek - joining pieces?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in on the group buy but something has been nagging me: the number of pieces and whether or not they make sense. For the 2012, there are seven pieces that make up the floor. I'm wondering if it can't be done in three. In order of importance/preference, join 5/6/7 in the bow area, join 14/15 over the gas tank, and 8/9 over the ski locker. For the 5/6/7 mats, I've noticed that even when installed very well, there is sometimes a point between 6 & 7 (circled) where the radii on the mats just don't seem to line up quite right.

And then there is the swim platform which is in 4 pieces but I think might look better in two - one for the platform and one for the hatch (kinda' like the attached where I've photoshopped just the hatch mat).

On the group buy thread, I asked Will about the reason for the bits and he said that they "were broken to help eliminate waste in the cutting process and to lower the cost to both our company and to the customer".

So, some questions for those of you that have installed SeaDek:
- does the gap between pieces help cleaning/drainage (especially on the swim platform)?
- would large pieces be an absolute *bitch* to install straight? (That's my biggest concern..)
- am I the only one that cares about this?

BTW: I'm thinking that running a string line, taped to the bow step and engine hatch, a few inches off the deck would help getting the lines all straight?

Attachments

does the gap between pieces help cleaning/drainage (especially on the swim platform)?
- would large pieces be an absolute *bitch* to install straight? (That's my biggest concern..)
- am I the only one that cares about this?

Will's templates are optimized for best usage of the material and shipping costs. I understand that some buyers have ordered combined pieces where they paid the additional costs. The current discounted offer is for existing kits so I believe there would be quite a premium to order a custom kit vs the current discounted pricing.

The gaps between mats to create channels for water flow.

I would not want to install larger pieces. @Rana and I did the install together with one of us on each end of the larger pieces. Doing so we were able to set them down perfectly flat and aligned. If they were larger we would have had difficulty keeping them flat.

You are not the only one who has asked for larger pieces but certainly are in the minority.

Personally I like the look of the pieces. But most of all we all enjoy the feeling of the new flooring under our feet.

Laying big pieces is a breeze if you follow the technique I outlined in my installation thread.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2005-sx230-seadek-transformation.3889/
I ordered a couple pieces joined into one for better looks (last year). I never thought to change the swim platform mats -- I think it would look and function great with big pieces. If you go with larger pieces make sure they are cut to be the proper size. By this I mean that the gap width between the two separate mats needs to be added to the two separate mats to sum a larger one.

The string line would make it impossible to install the mats properly. You would need 6 people! Just eye it up as you go and it will be fine.

I would agree with @Bruce in that larger pieces would be more difficult to install corectly. I had the exact thought process @msavold thinking that several of the pieces could have been combined for a smoother appearance but after installing my kit I changed my mind. The other consideration is if you accidently damaged a piece It would be much more expensive recutting a custom piece to replace the damaged one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Bruce: according to Will's staff, they're cutting the mats for this sale - it's not existing kits. And the price for joining, from Will is "To get them cut in one piece the price would go up by $20 per mat. In this case $40 since you want to merge the fuel door and the bow mats. $60 if you want to merge the ski locker." (Which, as I re-read it has me a bit confused if he's talking $20 per mat or $20 per area... that seems contrary to how I first read it.) I'm still not sure about losing the "channels" between pieces, especially on the swim deck (even the factory one is split in the middle...)

Murf: had forgotten about your post... Thanks for the reminder. As for the stringline - it seemed like a good idea but as I think of it, I see how it can be more of an impediment than a convenience! Also mat sizes, looking at yours, you combined the bow area (one of the things I'm thinking of) and the fuel tank on yours is already one piece, and the end result is not much bigger than what I was thinking.

But then Gym, that's a point I'd no considered... replacing a damaged piece - I can see that happening at some point.

Bruce: according to Will's staff, they're cutting the mats for this sale - it's not existing kits. And the price for joining, from Will is "To get them cut in one piece the price would go up by $20 per mat. In this case $40 since you want to merge the fuel door and the bow mats. $60 if you want to merge the ski locker." (Which, as I re-read it has me a bit confused if he's talking $20 per mat or $20 per area... that seems contrary to how I first read it.) I'm still not sure about losing the "channels" between pieces, especially on the swim deck (even the factory one is split in the middle...)

Will's staff cuts all of the mats that they produce. He has invested in huge CNC tables to do it.

What I was referring to as existing kits is that Will precisely measures various boat models to create the layout for that models mat kit. I believe he limited the discounted sale to kits that he has already measured and priced. Will will measure and cut mats for any kind of boat. I have seen pictures of his work on everything from kayaks to yachts but that kind of custom work is not included in the discount he is offering our members. It is very kind of him to offer to combine mats for you at such a low cost. Each mat that you want to combine requires editing in his production software and will likely increase the amount of material used and the shipping cost.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Murf: had forgotten about your post... Thanks for the reminder. As for the stringline - it seemed like a good idea but as I think of it, I see how it can be more of an impediment than a convenience! Also mat sizes, looking at yours, you combined the bow area (one of the things I'm thinking of) and the fuel tank on yours is already one piece, and the end result is not much bigger than what I was thinking.

But then Gym, that's a point I'd no considered... replacing a damaged piece - I can see that happening at some point.
The only reason I mentioned that @msavold is I'm replacing a damaged piece now.

I did my boat this year except the swim platform. I'm going to do that in the spring. I want to have my boat name scrolled in the mat but having two mates on the swim platform will create an issue. If I can do one full mat on the swim platform, that would be great. Would that be an issue? The boat name is long, High Maytenance, May being my last name.

@Kevin M, most of us have our boat names crossing the mats.

image.jpg

The larger pieces will not be any easier to install and more expensive to replace if you screw up the install or damage later; but with the knowledge shared and a careful approach, the joined sheets will likely be worth the extra cost to you. What I love about Will and his team is they will gladly adapt to get you exactly what you want and I consider the cost to do so very reasonable. My boat had the table base mislocated at build . The stock mats I ordered didn't line up right, so he agreed to customize a new set to my actual dimensions. Great service and great product. You will enjoy it! Join up.

@Bruce , that looks great! getting "Maytenance" across will be al little more difficult! lol

@Bruce , that looks great! getting "Maytenance" across will be al little more difficult! lol

I am sure that Will will find a way to make it look great.

Back