• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Found what looked like a little oil on the tops of both engines today

NJ-JetGuy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was cleaning up our 212 Limited S and went to spray down the engines with Yamalube and found what looked like a few drops of oil in the gullies on the top of both engines. Yes on both engines on the top of the manifolds in the exact same
Location. I can’t imagine that I have two new engines (2019 boat with 28 hours on each engine) both of which are leaking oil in the exact same place?

I checked the fill caps and they are tight. checked the dipsticks and oil looks full and dipsticks were in all the way and tight. There was no other oil in the engine bay. My marina changed the oil on both motors back in June and for the life of me, I don’t remember seeing this little bit of oil on top of both engines the last 5-6 times we had the boat out and cleaned up as I always spray down the motors with yamalube.

We did take the boat out into the ocean today and cruised for about 20-30 minutes over some small 2-3 foot rolling swells. It was a fun but not a terrible or rough ride.

Could what looks like honey brown oil actually be excess yamalube silicone spray that has built up, run down and turned brown due to the heat of the engines? I know, should have taken some photos.

i dried up the areas on both engines and will inspect again after our next time out this weekend. Just hoping for some feedback from other owners to set my mind at ease. If not, glad we have the YES warranty.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would check your oil level. If all looks good just keep an eye on it. Not sure how much oil you found but oil doesn't generally leak on top of an engine so I suspect it is residue from checking your dipsticks or the Yamalube you mentioned. Just a note...I check my oil before leaving for the ramp on every trip. It's part of my pre-launch checklist. Keep us informed as to what you find.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same thing for me today on 2019 AR195. Noticed some oil on the top of the engine, cleaned it all off with a rag. Then went out for about an hour, ran it at cruise and WOT. Came back in to see the light oil film return in the same spot. Engine seemed to be running fine, was responsive at all speeds and max was 7400 rpm and 46mph on gps. I’m on a fairly short lake so max speed might been higher if I had more lake to let it run.

It’s but much oil, but noticeable. Any ideas if this oil film is normal or anything to look into? Dipstick check showed oil was full.

Attachments