• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

From Water to Trailer

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u , 2 options:

1. Don’t drop the trailer so far into the ramp.

2. The boat will “square up” by itself if you power load correctly. A lot of members here don’t or won’t power load for various reasons but if you are not one of them seriously consider doing it. That is, weld or bolt the bow stop if necessary and install veve guides, boat buckles and a ramp n clamp or boat buddy 2 on your trailer and power load to recover your boat. There is a small initial spend associated with doing all of this but it will cut your recovery times in half or more and it precludes that discussion/signaling with your wife entirely.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I pull my boat out of the water and brake hard into the public wash station. The boat typically slides forward a few inches, I tie everything down, and I’ve never had the strap loosen. That’s with whatever crappy ratchet strap that I can find.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2kwik4u , 2 options:
1. Don’t drop the trailer so far into the ramp.
This is my option - I prefer to winch up the last foot or so. Bunk snot or "bunk liquid rollers" helps for this. Makes the carpet on the bunks really slick.
2. The boat will “square up” by itself if you power load correctly. A lot of members here don’t or won’t power load for various reasons
In many areas, power loading onto a trailer is illegal as the wake disrupts the seabed. The guys with the longer tri-axle trailers (we have high performance racing boats around here) often get stuck and have to improvise or power load just so they can get on the trailer. Of course that means it just gets worse for the next guy trying to load.

PS - If you're in such an area, don't let the conservation or F&G authorities see you do it...it's a hefty fine from what I hear, and they can confiscate your gear, boat, and vehicle!
:eek:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please be careful with liquid roller.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the slick. It can really really slide.
I typically do only 2 of my bunks.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is my option - I prefer to winch up the last foot or so. Bunk snot or "bunk liquid rollers" helps for this. Makes the carpet on the bunks really slick.

In many areas, power loading onto a trailer is illegal as the wake disrupts the seabed. The guys with the longer tri-axle trailers (we have high performance racing boats around here) often get stuck and have to improvise or power load just so they can get on the trailer. Of course that means it just gets worse for the next guy trying to load.

PS - If you're in such an area, don't let the conservation or F&G authorities see you do it...it's a hefty fine from what I hear, and they can confiscate your gear, boat, and vehicle!
:eek:
I can’t speak to many areas (sounds like something the Pres. would say, lol) but I don’t know of any ramps here in CA where power loading is prohibited at least none of the ramps I’ve used had/have any signs or even users that told me not to power load. If it’s prohibited definitely don’t do it or do so knowing and accepting the consequences and risks if you get caught.

The only times I don’t power load are when things leading up to the recovery just haven’t gone well (e.g., the trailer is out of position even after several retries, pulling up to the dock isn’t smooth, everyone involved is already snapping at each other, etc. in those instances I pull the boat onto the trailer and use the winch to get the bow eye to engage the ramp n clamp, another thing that can make winching easier is the Fulton f2 2 speed winch) or when the ramp is really rocky and I’m worried about my pumps sucking up the rocks and rock blasting my Impellers and wear rings.

For context imho trailer boating is difficult, I want to make it as easy as possible and want to get in and out of the ramp as soon as possible, especially during recovery since I usually have an hour or two ride drive afterwards. Power loading is a big part of this for me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm late to the party! You pull out... and then what...?

Three words: 5mph hard stop.
Then (and only then) tighten boat buckles, or straps, and go.
My 0.02

--

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can’t speak to many areas (sounds like something the Pres. would say, lol) but I don’t know of any ramps here in CA where power loading is prohibited at least none of the ramps I’ve used had/have any signs or even users that told me not to power load. If it’s prohibited definitely don’t do it or do so knowing and accepting the consequences and risks if you get caught.
There is no signage from what I can tell anywhere, it's one of those things we're supposed to be aware of for our area. Kinda like drinking and driving in your car, there's no signs, but we know we can't do it!
LOL
Here, we can't power load unless there's a technical issue (like a 50ft boat can't get on the trailer). Down the lake to some obscure area, it's ok, probably because there's too few users there moving the seabed. Around my area though, we get hundreds of fishing and performance boats weekly, more during fishing derbys, so the seabed is heavily influenced by prop/jet wash/wake.
For context imho trailer boating is difficult, I want to make it as easy as possible and want to get in and out of the ramp as soon as possible, especially during recovery since I usually have an hour or two ride drive afterwards. Power loading is a big part of this for me.
I've been doing it for years...it's not hard, just takes a bit of practice to line up for the run. My wife and I can unload/load a 3500 lbs boat on a tandem trailer using nothing but dock lines in about 90 seconds or so. Coordination is key. Takes more time to put the fenders and lines out than to drop and pick up. Preparation and center lineup helps tremendously.
In and out, quick like a bunny.
LOL

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Compatico ive been doing it for years as well , it’s still hard too me and only getting more difficult as I get older, so I do what works for me realizing it won’t work for everyone else but could for those similarly situated.

I would not feel comfortable power loading if I had any questions about legality. Fortunately or unfortunately at the lakes and rivers I boat at any prohibitions are very clear, it’s on the pamphlet I get when I enter and/or the signs at the entrance / boat ramp (e.g. the speed limit, direction of travel, when I can start and must stop boating, whether I can bring my dog). If not and I really need to know I would just look it up after asking the front desk / local LEO, there always seem to be one of those people present everywhere I boat. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for its breach, a statement everyone in the U.S. could benefit from knowing and understanding.

What’s the topic of this thread again? Oh yeah, how to keep the stern straps from sagging / getting loose. My short answer, start by fixing the bow stop on the trailer if it rocks back and forth on its mount. Almost free if you can weld, $30 to $100 if you can’t.