• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Fuel Pump Wiring

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m having an issue with my fuel pump - not working (2012 SX240). If I switch the power to it from the other one it will work. How can I fix or any suggestions - possibly a link to wiring diagram?

I had a problem with a fuel pump on our 06 SX230 because it was getting low voltage supplied to it because of a bad ground. Not sure both boats are the same but ours has a separate ground cable to both engines and ours also has a junction for all the grounds in the engine compartment.

I’ve made sure the grounds are tight but not sure what else unfortunately. It could be that but not sure what else to check. I do have the same issue that I can’t get enough voltage to it.

I had a problem with a fuel pump on our 06 SX230 because it was getting low voltage supplied to it because of a bad ground. Not sure both boats are the same but ours has a separate ground cable to both engines and ours also has a junction for all the grounds in the engine compartment.

I think I’m having the same issue after testing. How did you fix.
I think I need to know what this piece is called? Wiring harness to fuel pump? I’m looking to see how to get wires out to confirm if it is this connection

I think I’m having the same issue after testing. How did you fix.
I think I need to know what this piece is called? Wiring harness to fuel pump? I’m looking to see how to get wires out to confirm if it is this connection

Attachments

• FFA169F2-6E04-4DBD-8683-911D100897AD.jpeg
    FFA169F2-6E04-4DBD-8683-911D100897AD.jpeg
    972.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 5173E8C7-233F-4DD4-85C2-0B050041E3E4.jpeg
    5173E8C7-233F-4DD4-85C2-0B050041E3E4.jpeg
    973 KB · Views: 31
Run a wire from the negative side of your battery to the black wire on that plug and see if that fixes your problem, you should be able to push a paper clip into the connector from the top. If that fixes the problem it is a bad ground.

That is it! Thank you for the help. How do I fix permanently?

I with Brad_ct on this one run a ground wire from the Batt.........if that does not help get a simple volt meter and check voltage....... start on the pump wire that does work, If you do not get proper voltage on the bad wire I would then start to suspect the Fuel pump Relay.....last did you check the fuses or did I miss that you already checked them.

I get the proper voltage one I solve for the ground but my thought is I need to check the harness at the pump and where the ground is connected to permanently fix. Do you know how I get wire out of harness to do that?

I get the proper voltage one I solve for the ground but my thought is I need to check the harness at the pump and where the ground is connected to permanently fix. Do you know how I get wire out of harness to do that?
I’ll get some pictures of the ground junction on our boat this afternoon.

The great thing about having twin engine you have an ability to swap working parts without throwing parts at it. I would inspect/run the wires from the tank back and pay special attention at bulk heads and anywhere they could rub off the insulation. You can swap the fuel relay from good pump to the the side not working.

On cars I have many times wrapped thin ground wire around lug and placed connector or relay back on.............you do however need to make sure which side is ground. It would not be the first time the I've seen a black wire not used as the ground. Not sure if my service manual show's a color code on the wire diagrams .......I'll check.

Sorry went back and read post closer sounds like you got it ...............ignore my other post except tracing the wires looking for break or worn off insulation.

0BEFE09F-C582-4FF5-A4BF-5F96B93BD094.jpegFA037404-E610-40BB-A538-7FCC44BF4F20.jpeg
@Kaiser211 these are pictures of the ground junction that I am referring to. It is the upper one in both pictures that has all black wires going to it. When you pull the end off you will that all the terminals are jumped together via the end piece. Like I mentioned before, we have different boats but see if you have the same connector. The way I found was that I traced the ground wire (black) on the rectifier back to that plug. The other thing you can check are the main ground cables and our boat has a cable that jumps between the two engines.

Electronic cleaner under the caps would be in order and yes any grounding wire wire straps between engines Can you trace the black wire(from pump) to the grounding junction in your picture, if so you can use a continuity checker to see if wire is good down to the pump.

My only thought is if this is a shared ground(looping them all together by the cap) probe the wire going down to the pump(at the grounding junction) and ether use a community checker) to verifying the wire has no breaks.

View attachment 153442View attachment 153443
@Kaiser211 these are pictures of the ground junction that I am referring to. It is the upper one in both pictures that has all black wires going to it. When you pull the end off you will that all the terminals are jumped together via the end piece. Like I mentioned before, we have different boats but see if you have the same connector. The way I found was that I traced the ground wire (black) on the rectifier back to that plug. The other thing you can check are the main ground cables and our boat has a cable that jumps between the two engines.
I’m not sure how to get the wire out to check it though

Also thank all for the help. Looking forward to getting this engine running again!

I’m not sure how to get the wire out to check it though
My issue was corrosion in the connector, after I pulled the cap off you could see a white residue on/in it. Get yourself a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and a tube of dialectic grease at a auto parts store. Spray both the cap and plug real good and after it dries squeeze the grease into the plug end.

Well it starts! Good news but not sure I have it solved perfectly. The ground was the issue and in the connection showed I tired to remove the ground wire by pushing up at yellow arrow but was unsuccessful. I checked the other end of wire for corrosion but didn’t see any when I pulled that off. I tried again to get connection off in yellow arrow and pushed around enough that I may have made it tighter. At the end when I put it all together it turned on. Not 100% what pet did it but I would like to fix that connection if I knew how… I still will mess with it. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Attachments

• 10B92347-7C92-4E91-AB12-56329B162BD3.jpeg
    10B92347-7C92-4E91-AB12-56329B162BD3.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 23
Ok my Starboard engine has started up fine now and hopefully the connection issue with the ground stays solved. My Port side now gives me an issue that is different but similar. When I turn the key it does even try to start - turn it a few times and only thing that turns on is the dash. If I have the starboard turned on then maybe the 3rd time it fires up as normal and good to go. Also if I am running it and turn it off it is hit or miss - sometimes starts right up if I again start the starboard first but sometimes on 2-3 time. Any thoughts on it?

Back