• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fusion replacement...

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The volume knob broke off of my Fusion head unit and I wasn’t going to replace it since everything works just fine. Inconvenient not having volume control on the platform but oh well..... I got a new phone and I need to connect it via Bluetooth and you need the volume knob to be able to turn discoverable mode on. So I’m gonna go buy a replacement and I figured it was worth asking about options..... for $300 I get a new head unit that should swap out easy. I’m not looking to do a massive upgrade with amps and speakers and all.

Has anyone replaced one of these before? If I buy one now, will same model work on a 3 year old boat? Any issues to be aware of? Appreciate any insight or advice. I’m sure some will say upgrade everything, but that’s not on the realm of possibility now.....

FF0DCD6A-674F-4284-A679-5A5A67B95F33.jpeg

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced the POC head unit that came with my boat with a Fusion 700 about 5 years ago and it's really a piece of cake to do, particularly if you're replacing it with another Fusion unit. (Probably advisable if you have the NMEA-connected remote at the stern.) On mine the front panel pops off to reveal the 4 screws that hold it to the helm - it looks like on yours the sides pop off (https://assets.fusionentertainment.com/products/downloads/Fusion_RA70_Installation_Instructions_EN-US.pdf?mtime=20171003092732). The connections to the speakers are a clip from the back of the unit to the boat's wiring harness.
Intrigued that your knob broke off by the way - was it hit or did it just snap off? I'm asking because my 5 year old unit has a defective knob. Spin it and it'll work fine a couple of times but then go up when you want it to go down and vice versa. REALLY annoying for people sitting near speakers but for now hard to justify cost of replacement.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With such a great head unit, i would contact Fusion about repair or a swap for a refurb. Or add one of their remotes near the head unit for a fraction of the cost, just for volume control. Seems silly, but it would work.

Good luck,

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@biffdotorg yeah, you'd think so... 😒. @Shookie might have some better luck since it's still a current unit but when I called about mine they simply said they do not repair, period. Didn't think to ask if they have refurbs though.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I replaced the POC head unit that came with my boat with a Fusion 700 about 5 years ago and it's really a piece of cake to do, particularly if you're replacing it with another Fusion unit. (Probably advisable if you have the NMEA-connected remote at the stern.) On mine the front panel pops off to reveal the 4 screws that hold it to the helm - it looks like on yours the sides pop off (https://assets.fusionentertainment.com/products/downloads/Fusion_RA70_Installation_Instructions_EN-US.pdf?mtime=20171003092732). The connections to the speakers are a clip from the back of the unit to the boat's wiring harness.
Intrigued that your knob broke off by the way - was it hit or did it just snap off? I'm asking because my 5 year old unit has a defective knob. Spin it and it'll work fine a couple of times but then go up when you want it to go down and vice versa. REALLY annoying for people sitting near speakers but for now hard to justify cost of replacement.
I have no idea what NMEA means, haven’t looked it up yet. I have no idea how or when I broke. I know it happened at least a year ago but I’m not sure when exactly. I looked at that unit and it looks like there are some special cables and plugs so makes sense for me to buy an exact replacement.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
With such a great head unit, i would contact Fusion about repair or a swap for a refurb. Or add one of their remotes near the head unit for a fraction of the cost, just for volume control. Seems silly, but it would work.

Good luck,
I did contact them a year ago and no way to repair it. Not sure what you mean by adding a remote.... I used the app to control volume and that worked. My issue is with a new phone, I’m not connected to it anymore. You have to use the head unit to connect (which sucks btw Yamaha). I can get into the menu, but need the knob to scroll down to turn on Discoverable mode.... without the knob I can’t do that.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@biffdotorg yeah, you'd think so... 😒. @Shookie might have some better luck since it's still a current unit but when I called about mine they simply said they do not repair, period. Didn't think to ask if they have refurbs though.
I didn’t ask about refurbs either.... will probably just get a new one.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Assuming you can link it without the use of your volume knob, the below remote is compatible with your head unit. Totally wireless, good range, works great, and only about $50 (available in white and black). You can stick them on the dash, carry one around, etc.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did contact them a year ago and no way to repair it. Not sure what you mean by adding a remote.... I used the app to control volume and that worked. My issue is with a new phone, I’m not connected to it anymore. You have to use the head unit to connect (which sucks btw Yamaha). I can get into the menu, but need the knob to scroll down to turn on Discoverable mode.... without the knob I can’t do that.
Spatty posted a link. Fusion makes a wireless remote for roughly $50-$60 that gives you control of the basic functions. Keeping in mind, you still need to pair it.

The NMEA remote is a wired remote that mimics the controls and displays exactly as the head unit. These were the stern deck remotes many of us installed. My remote on my swimdeck does everything the head unit does. And it gets it's power over the NMEA network.

The reason I bring up refurbs as those stereo companies that say they do not "repair" will many times take your unit in on exchange for a refurb. It's worth asking as they will then replace that particular dial and then sell it as a refurb to the next guy. It's a more efficient way of offering repairs without "offering repairs" as the customer is never waiting for their unit to come back. They just exchange it.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Spatty posted a link. Fusion makes a wireless remote for roughly $50-$60 that gives you control of the basic functions. Keeping in mind, you still need to pair it.

The NMEA remote is a wired remote that mimics the controls and displays exactly as the head unit. These were the stern deck remotes many of us installed. My remote on my swimdeck does everything the head unit does. And it gets it's power over the NMEA network.

The reason I bring up refurbs as those stereo companies that say they do not "repair" will many times take your unit in on exchange for a refurb. It's worth asking as they will then replace that particular dial and then sell it as a refurb to the next guy. It's a more efficient way of offering repairs without "offering repairs" as the customer is never waiting for their unit to come back. They just exchange it.
Yeah the remote does nothing since I can't pair it. I emailed Fusion asking about refurbs so will see what they say. A new unit is $300.... could be worse. Appreciate the help!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I could be wrong here, but if that happened to my Fusion head unit, and my only option was a $300 replacement, I would be getting creative with some sort of shaft I could glue in there to at least allow me to rotate the wheel enough to pair. There is enough left there for a drop of SuperGlue Gel, that would not get on the case and lock it up solid. It's a temp fix to get you rolling.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I could be wrong here, but if that happened to my Fusion head unit, and my only option was a $300 replacement, I would be getting creative with some sort of shaft I could glue in there to at least allow me to rotate the wheel enough to pair. There is enough left there for a drop of SuperGlue Gel, that would not get on the case and lock it up solid. It's a temp fix to get you rolling.
Another alternative is to see if you can get it repaired somewhere locally? If the unit can get pulled apart, it seems reasonable that the broken part could get replaced somehow.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No refurbs available from Fusion. Said they don't offer repairs..... I'm just ordered a new one. Also bought the dust cover for it to provide some extra protection. Sucks, but for what these boats cost, can't stand knowing something is broken. Can't stand not having my phone connected via Bluetooth. The time I would invest in trying to come up with a fix isn't worth it. Appreciate the opinions and ideas from everyone!

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
New unit installed and working.
FD95A4D5-8B2A-494F-9197-A5A2CD730FA9.jpeg

Bought the cover for it but am going to return it. Fits very loose and I have a feeling it will be at the bottom of the lake first time out.
7C48D875-8CDC-4111-8500-87B560DC064A.jpeg