• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gantlin FatSac 25ft'r is in!

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I just reread Jeffs response.

#1 i made a copy of your outer fins from the purchased fins from you so i didnt RUIN your fins if i screwed up. I also want to test shapes and the amount i removed in case i wasnt happy with what i did (measure twice, cut once motto) WHY ruin your fins if i dont have to yet untyil i come up with my final design for myself.

#2 i have all intentions once im finished to share my work with you, and what i did, and if you would be interested in making me a set possibly from my design. This is by NO MEANS an act to defraud you or your product or steal your work or make anything monetarily.

#3 what im looking for is the benefits of the fins, all while removing the disturbance in the water when the wakebooster is deployed, all while also continuing to use the surfpointe angles.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I tried to advise you that you can not make any patented item for your own use without the permission of the owner of the patent not for any use not even your own, check with a lawyer and he will advise you of that and he will also probably tell you why I told you this. it is sad that you think otherwise. Because infringing on a patent not knowing it was patented is not a defense in federal court but knowingly infringing allows the patent holder to ask the court for a triple judgement award. I want you to be sure you understand this. I tried to be nice about it but you MUST CEASE AND DESIST!!!!! I pay a lot of money to patent lawyers and I follow their direction so take the smart approach and save yourself a lot of problems and just destroy the one you made if you need to modify some get with me and discuss this . but if you show this to a patent lawyer he will probably ruin your day advising you how wrong you are. This is very serious .
ya know what jeff? After the fact you dont get what im trying to do im ripping my fucking fins off my boat beginning of this season once the boat is out of winter slumber.

Cease and Desist lol give it a fucking break.

Anyone want a used set of CJ Magnums for a 19 up twin, they will be up for sale April 2022.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
ya know what jeff? After the fact you dont get what im trying to do im ripping my fucking fins off my boat beginning of this season once the boat is out of winter slumber.

Cease and Desist lol give it a fucking break.

Anyone want a used set of CJ Magnums for a 19 up twin, they will be up for sale April 2022.
AMEN

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The more i think about this the more it pisses me off. Back in July of 2021 I messaged Jeff @ CJ asking if they offered the kit (it was spacers to correct the fins for surfpointe)

As you can see Jeff doesnt offer it anymore, nor would he give me the measurements or means to do it myself since its not offered anymore.

I told him my findings and my intentions with the fins I owned. I wasnt being sneaky or malice intent. Im not about to cut and ruin $400 fins multiple times testing and keep purchasing "can only modify these patented versions" from CJS.

#1 I was told in order to keep surfpointe i had to set my fins at the upper most setting, so they are basically out of the water on plane. DEFEATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE I BOUGHT CJS IN THE FIRST PLACE RATHER THAN THRUST VECTORS. The recommendations arent good enough for me. The product interferes too much for my liking with the wakebooster on my boat, i want steering control at speed, not just slow speed.

#2 Having the CJs up in that position makes the MOST disturbance to the wakebooster flow of water. I tested it, back to back in the water, moved the fins while i was out.

#3 Removing the unneeded material as shown in my TEST mock up while keeping the fins in the water and removing unbstructed flow of water from the wakebooster, while also "bending my fins" to be perpendicular while keeping surfpointe was a win/win/win.

Attachments

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
ultimately if Jeff could design something similar but not exactly like his viper design, but have it be able to be rotated to correct for the surfpointe angle and get the fins back to perpendicular would be awesome. I dont want the fins atteched to the top of the nozzle bucket, this design keeps the planning surface and its benefits, fin could be shaped to make sure its in the water, and adjustable also if need be. But the way it is now just too busy drafting a cease a desist to me rather than realizing im trying to help make an already great product possibly better for more possible users. 1642890856660.png

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bizarre position. Modification of a prior design patent can be grounds for a new patent. Patent improvements are big business. The simple fact is he is actually NOT infringing at all…. In fact he’s making it something new which may give him some grounds for common law rights to the new design. Don’t cut of your nose to spite your face. Geesh.

and I love CJ fins

Design Patents cover the actual design patented not the design plus or minus anything. Lots of case law on this with the USPTO. Commonly called building a better mousetrap.

Just my opinion.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Bizarre position. Modification of a prior design patent can be grounds for a new patent. Patent improvements are big business. The simple fact is he is actually NOT infringing at all…. In fact he’s making it something new which may give him some grounds for common law rights to the new design. Don’t cut of your nose to spite your face. Geesh.

and I love CJ fins

Design Patents cover the actual design patented not the design plus or minus anything. Lots of case law on this with the USPTO. Commonly called building a better mousetrap.

Just my opinion.
this whole thing is bizarre to say the least. To think trying to make my boat perform better was gonna land me in a lawsuit over patents, especially when im not even trying to market it, and out of human and professional courtesy would 110% share what i did so it could be incorporated, or nothing at all for what its worth. Especially being a consumer who was happy with the product and spent money on em, not like i grabbed some one else boat, took theirs off and copied and the kit is 100% copied. 80% of the kit is still on the boat. All I did was mock up and test an outer fin shape as to not ruin the "good" set yet until i narrowed down what worked and what didn't. To be this hot headed and insulting is a real eye opener.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know I hate to see these pissing matches come on this forum and I never get involved in them but this time it's honestly ridiculous! I have owned CJS on my previous ar190 and loved them. I was going to order a new set for my new ar210 but after reading this thread there is no way! I just can't believe Jeff going off about patent's and stuff on here. That should have been a private message if it was that big a deal to him. I have used jet boat pilot for other items, which are amazing products, and after this I can definitely say I will be only dealing with them and feel there thrust vectors deserve a try!