• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garmin 74DV Strange Behavior

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
This is the first post I have made NOT on the 190 FSH thread...
My Garmin Chartplotter is behaving strangely. When I turn it on, it says I have the incorrect transducer connected. When I turn the Chartplotter on and off a few times, it recognizes it finally.
Has anyone had similar behavior?
My intent when I get back to my boat is to check the software and see if the right transducer is "installed" in the settings. My software is updated. And finally, if all else fails, reset the chartplotter. All wires appear to be snug in their ports.
Any other suggestions before I troubleshoot?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do updating the software make it think that the transducer is outdated possibly? If they now sell a new transducer with the updated model could be issue.

Habe you tried killing the power to the unit itself and unplugging transducer then reconnecting power and transducer?

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Do updating the software make it think that the transducer is outdated possibly? If they now sell a new transducer with the updated model could be issue.

Habe you tried killing the power to the unit itself and unplugging transducer then reconnecting power and transducer?
That's a good point. I don't think they are selling anew transducer though since I believe the 74DV was discontinued. But, you never know!

I'm going to add your suggestion to the troubleshooting when I get back to my boat.

Thanks for the input :)

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Turned out it was just a bad transducer. I went out and bought a new one, plugged it in, and all worked fine. Amazing I actually thought to buy an extended warranty two years ago! My wife will be proud.