• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garmin VHF 315 Radio Install

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, with all of the rain and dreary days this winter in Houston, decided to tackle a few projects on our new boat over the last few weeks.

For some background, this is my 3rd Yamaha Boat (‘05 SX230HO, ‘11 242LS) and now a ‘19 242LSE, so crawling around and working on these things is not unfamiliar territory. In our previous boats, we have always used a portable handheld VHF radio, but recently have kicked around making some longer trips (Lake Charles / Golden Nugget) and possibly offshore runs (working on the wife for a Bimini run....2020?) so thought it would be prudent to go ahead and install a fixed VHF Radio from the get-go this time. We wanted a streamlined look without the box getting in the way, so decided to go with the Garmin VHF-315 setup. It's not for the faint of heart as far as the pocketbook is concerned, but was pleased with the final installed look.

To make things easier in the future, the first thing that was done was to run a fuse box with 6ga wire to under the helm. I'm using a 60amp circuit breaker and connected it on the backside of the House battery switch to protect the wiring, although with 6ga and the fuse box rating, could have used 100 or 125amp. All marine wire, connectors, heat shrinks at the connectors and covered with loom the entire distance, zip tied and put up very nicely. That will make any future mods easier to install with easy access for switches and accessories to power. While doing this project, went ahead and moved the batteries around to make a lot more usable storage in that compartment.
IMG_5212.jpegIMG_5229.jpegIMG_5237.jpegIMG_5238.jpeg
The next thing was to install the VHF radio and antenna. Many, many thanks to all the ideas and examples people have shared on this site. It was a huge help. I really liked the idea of having the antenna on the very top in the middle, but on the '18+ Bimini's, couldn’t find a good way to mount it there without making a change to the Bimini fabric, so it wound up mounted on the Starboard side attached to the bimini frame. After spending hours thinking about making an extension or possibly using a different mount/brand to get it in the middle, it was decided to use the Shakespeare quick connect so that limited the choice of mount locations. At least now it will be easier to switch between the 3ft and 8ft antenna for longer trips. There is some concern as to the stainless rubbing on the bimini and contemplating having the wife make an iron on patch the same color for the area that contacts the antenna mount.
IMG_5242.jpegIMG_5243.jpegIMG_5244.jpegIMG_5245.jpeg
For the VHF, we purchased the Garmin VHF-315 setup. That allowed me to install the GHS11 communication device in an ideal location and mount the box remotely. It comes with a remote speaker, which is not installed yet. Want to see how the sound is just coming from the handset, then can decide if the speaker is needed and where best to mount it. To make a clean look and install, went ahead and made a mount out of marine plywood and installed it under the helm (painted in black). The only issue with the install so far is that my Garmin is bricked ?. Going to have to call Garmin on Monday and see what we can do to get it working. Did all kinds of troubleshooting and came to the conclusion it's probably a software fault in the box which will require replacement. It's unfortunate, but not the first time something hasn't worked out of the box. I ordered a few shorter cables and should be able to get rid of some of the excess coiled cables in the future.
IMG_5236.jpegIMG_5230.jpegIMG_5241.jpeg
One thing about running all of this wire throughout the boat, I have crawled in and have seen quite a bit of Yamaha’s handy work. There have been significant improvements in engine quieting, streamlining of some of the electrical, etc from prior years. Unfortunately however, the fit, finish and materials in many areas is subpar compared to my 2011. Especially the plywood walls used to separate the back under seat storage compartments and the carpet quality. The carpet holds water and comes apart real easy. I’m going to do some sound proofing on some of the areas near the engine compartment because there are areas with 1” gaps between the plywood panels and Yamaha just bridged the gap with carpet. I really like what others have done there and think that will make a big difference in quieting some of the engine noise at cruising speed.

Hope to get a good weather day here in Houston to take it out soon. Doing all these projects and haven't even had the opportunity to run the new boat yet.

Great first post!

Well, with all of the rain and dreary days this winter in Houston, decided to tackle a few projects on our new boat over the last few weeks.

For some background, this is my 3rd Yamaha Boat (‘05 SX230HO, ‘11 242LS) and now a ‘19 242LSE, so crawling around and working on these things is not unfamiliar territory. In our previous boats, we have always used a portable handheld VHF radio, but recently have kicked around making some longer trips (Lake Charles / Golden Nugget) and possibly offshore runs (working on the wife for a Bimini run....2020?) so thought it would be prudent to go ahead and install a fixed VHF Radio from the get-go this time. We wanted a streamlined look without the box getting in the way, so decided to go with the Garmin VHF-315 setup. It's not for the faint of heart as far as the pocketbook is concerned, but was pleased with the final installed look.

To make things easier in the future, the first thing that was done was to run a fuse box with 6ga wire to under the helm. I'm using a 60amp circuit breaker and connected it on the backside of the House battery switch to protect the wiring, although with 6ga and the fuse box rating, could have used 100 or 125amp. All marine wire, connectors, heat shrinks at the connectors and covered with loom the entire distance, zip tied and put up very nicely. That will make any future mods easier to install with easy access for switches and accessories to power. While doing this project, went ahead and moved the batteries around to make a lot more usable storage in that compartment.
View attachment 89283View attachment 89273View attachment 89276View attachment 89277
The next thing was to install the VHF radio and antenna. Many, many thanks to all the ideas and examples people have shared on this site. It was a huge help. I really liked the idea of having the antenna on the very top in the middle, but on the '18+ Bimini's, couldn’t find a good way to mount it there without making a change to the Bimini fabric, so it wound up mounted on the Starboard side attached to the bimini frame. After spending hours thinking about making an extension or possibly using a different mount/brand to get it in the middle, it was decided to use the Shakespeare quick connect so that limited the choice of mount locations. At least now it will be easier to switch between the 3ft and 8ft antenna for longer trips. There is some concern as to the stainless rubbing on the bimini and contemplating having the wife make an iron on patch the same color for the area that contacts the antenna mount.
View attachment 89279View attachment 89280View attachment 89281View attachment 89282
For the VHF, we purchased the Garmin VHF-315 setup. That allowed me to install the GHS11 communication device in an ideal location and mount the box remotely. It comes with a remote speaker, which is not installed yet. Want to see how the sound is just coming from the handset, then can decide if the speaker is needed and where best to mount it. To make a clean look and install, went ahead and made a mount out of marine plywood and installed it under the helm (painted in black). The only issue with the install so far is that my Garmin is bricked ?. Going to have to call Garmin on Monday and see what we can do to get it working. Did all kinds of troubleshooting and came to the conclusion it's probably a software fault in the box which will require replacement. It's unfortunate, but not the first time something hasn't worked out of the box. I ordered a few shorter cables and should be able to get rid of some of the excess coiled cables in the future.
View attachment 89275View attachment 89274View attachment 89278
One thing about running all of this wire throughout the boat, I have crawled in and have seen quite a bit of Yamaha’s handy work. There have been significant improvements in engine quieting, streamlining of some of the electrical, etc from prior years. Unfortunately however, the fit, finish and materials in many areas is subpar compared to my 2011. Especially the plywood walls used to separate the back under seat storage compartments and the carpet quality. The carpet holds water and comes apart real easy. I’m going to do some sound proofing on some of the areas near the engine compartment because there are areas with 1” gaps between the plywood panels and Yamaha just bridged the gap with carpet. I really like what others have done there and think that will make a big difference in quieting some of the engine noise at cruising speed.

Hope to get a good weather day here in Houston to take it out soon. Doing all these projects and haven't even had the opportunity to run the new boat yet.
Great post and this will help me with my install. Simple question I have is how did you attach the fuse block to the fiberglass under the helm? Wondering if I could use a few command strips (Velcro style) to secure it without having to drill holes.

Quality work, looks nice. Spendy VHF, but its really nice that you don't have the box somewhere visible in the cockpit, and can do everything off the handset. If I were to do it over, might pony up for that too.

Back