• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gel coat blister below water line

jmargo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found this yesterday. It looks like a blister and there was water behind it when I pushed in it. Should I remove it and cover with Marine-Tex ? Now or end of season ! I looked from the inside and it appears OK.

Also, whatever this plastic part is in the exhaust is full of water. Does that mean I don’t run it enough when I get out of the lake ?

Attachments

jmargo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Broke the loose piece off. The fiberglass behind it is smooth but slightly indented. My guess it was a factory flaw that finally cracked. Ordered the spectrum gel coat repair. Can I Marine Tex the fiberglass to build it level then gel coat the top ?

Attachments

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it were me, I would peel away the rest of the loose gel coat. Hard to tell by picture, but it looks like you have some loose stuff left. I would then scuff the fiberglass and proceed with the Spectrum paste. The 2 oz jar should give you plenty of filling/leveling.

Although some have had success, gel coat over Marine Tex is not recommended and requires careful prep.

jmargo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a plan. Hopefully the spectrum kit arrives soon.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My white took a week to Ohio. Ordered from iBoats.com Sunday night, had it on Monday the following week.

Last edited:

jmargo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Putting on the Spectrum repair this weekend. Took a full week to arrive. Temps are going to be in the high 90's this weekend so maybe that is too hot to apply ? Website says 65-90 degrees but not sure if that's for working time or curing.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did my repair in 90 degree heat and the total working time was probably 5 min. or less after adding the catalyst. I had to do the keel and scratches down both sides a few feet, so I had too hustle.

I would say with your smaller area, or starting earlier in the morning before that fireball in the sky warms things up, you should be OK. I started sanding after about 5 hours curing, but probably should have waited till the next day.