• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gelcoat repair

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thought I would go ahead and show this. On the way home from Havasu to Albuquerque a few weeks back my bimini let go from the wake tower and the frame flew around like a kite and hit several areas on the back of the boat. I don't know why it let go, I must not have looped the bimini cover straps over the zipper and the zipper came undone and the whole bimini started flying around. I got four pretty good chips and a torn up bimini. Bummer. Anyway, I took the bimini in to an awning shop and they were able to repair it. They did a really good job, wasn't cheap, but way cheaper then a new bimini.

So I ordered some Spectrum Gel Coat repair paste and thought I would give it a try.

I prepped the chunks by sanding the edges so there were no hard edges. I have done some repairs on my little Hobie cat sail boat in the past and I know with these types of repairs you want the repair to feather in to the existing surface. You are not trying to fill the hole to the edges, hope that makes sense. So I cleaned up the edges and roughed up the area around each hole then cleaned the areas with Acetone and let dry. First off I mixed one tablespoon of the gel with 5 drops of hardener. The instructions say to mix half the jar and 10 drops of hardener. I knew that would be way more than I needed for the repair and started off with just a tablespoon. Still WAY too much. This stuff goes a long way. I just mixed the gel and hardener on a paper plate and used a soft plastic applicator that I have had around for a number of years. You could use the top to a coffee can or something like that just to spread the gel, just cut the soft plastic in a shape that lets you scrape it off the plate and spread evenly on the boat surface.

You can see from my pictures my plastic applicator is pretty beat up. It left ridges in the gel coat. I won't use that old thing again. One thing you can do if you have ridges like this is to take some plastic wrap and place it over the gelcoat and smooth it out. I didn't remember that trick until it had set up too much to do it. So, no big deal. I started standing with 220, then 400, 600, 800, 1000. I need to probably do one more smooth coat, as you can see I think I sanded too far on one of the holes. That is the one that had all the ridges in the initial application and I had to sand too far to get all the ridges out.

The Spectum is really easy to work with. I probably used too much hardener. I think it was about 78 degrees and in the sun when I did this so I could have used a little more time. That hardener, gelcoat mixture is always kind of a guess. I need to get a polishing wheel now to really bring back the gloss, but the initial repair is really not hard.

Attachments

• Gelcoat repair 1.jpg
    Gelcoat repair 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 43
  • Gelcoat repair 2.jpg
    Gelcoat repair 2.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Gelcoat repair 3.jpg
    Gelcoat repair 3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Gelcoat repair 4.jpg
    Gelcoat repair 4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 40
  • Gelcoat repair 5.jpg
    Gelcoat repair 5.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Gelcoat repair 6.jpg
    Gelcoat repair 6.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Gelcoat repair 7.jpg
    Gelcoat repair 7.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 38
Impressed! That looks great - gives me some hope to try this myself if I ever need to make a repair like that. Where do you get the Spectrum kits from ? Just curious.

I have nice scratch near the swim deck, that I would like to repair. Is all the white for yamaha's the same? Can you paste link to what you purchased?

1620661607441.png
I ordered from Iboats.com

If you are repairing a scratch, make sure you feather the edges. Again, you are not trying to fill the area up to the edges, you want it to feather in to the sides. I know I'm not explaining that very well.

Also, my boat is a 2016. It was strange because if you go to the spectrum site and do the search by manufacturer, year, color it only gives you one item covering 2004-2019. But on the Iboats site is says 2004-2011 but had the same item number as the what was on the Spectrum site for later years. Matched the white perfectly.

1620662177266.png

Last edited:
That bimini seems to be my nemesis. On our last outing I had the bimini stored in the bag and strapped to the tower. When I loosened the arms to stow it I must not have made sure the spring clip was secured in one of the adjusting holes. After a couple hours on the lake I heard a thump and looked back to see something go in the lake. Didn't know what it was until we went to set up the bimini and the small adjusting arm with the ball end was gone.

Just in case you need one, Taco Marine

1620663126681.png

I have watched a few videos from boat us on you tube they are really informative on fixing the gel coat

Back