• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Goofing off and thought of fat saks

Steelerville

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have seen many on here with ballast bags. I dont want to spend a fortune but it would be nice if the boat weighed a bit more, for the obivous reasons. When you guys place them in the boat. Do you discharge the water through the scupper channels of the boat.

where were you thinking of putting the bags on your boat?

If you put a big one in your ski locker you could let it drain out there, I wouldn't put bags on the floor in the walking areas if you weren't specifically using them for a purpose during the day,

either way I'd spend an extra $100. a buy a pump, it's just easier,

I was only going to buy the bags (no pumps) and fill them at home.
This is not a good idea, Why do you want to lug around all of that extra weight when a simple 100 bucks fixes everything just like Scott said? I wouldn't tap into the scupper channel, it is there for a reason. I drilled a hole and drain out the side.

20140817_181947.jpg

I was only going to buy the bags (no pumps) and fill them at home.

You saved a lot of money buying the boat you have, don't be afraid to spend a little bit to make your life easier while on it. These bags and pumps are extremely cheap compared to the alternative dedicated wake boat and ballast system out there

We may be overlooking the bigger issue here.
1. you won't be moving these bags once filled, so you are filling them in the boat.
2. They are very difficult to empty without rolling over, or pumping out.
3. with enough bags, you could easily go over the capacity of the boat, let alone the trailer you are towing it on, so traveling with them filled is not recommended (even though we have all done it)
4. Laws in my state (MN) do not allow me to transport my boat with any form of water in it. If they cannot determine that I have tap-water in my ballast instead of lake water, I will be ticketed and fined. There is a huge push to fight invasive species so Bilge, Ballast, Livewells etc have to be drained. In California, they have to be bone dry.

You could rig a cheap bilge pump, but do it the right way. You won't regret it.

Geeze ..... I read "goofing off & the thought of fat saks" and thought someone was further implementing, and editorializing on, our jetboaters weight loss contest !

Mikey Lulejian - SO disappointed on Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:
My thought was to also make the boat run smoother in chop. I was thinking the added weight would make it cut through the waves better. the river is big and becomes pretty rough with a little wind.

My pump fill and empty go in/out the same holes. My overflow goes out the bilge hole.

Today I was thinking about how long it takes to fill up 1600# of ballast and I got to thinking about these huge water pumps that are attached to my boat to make it go vroom. I wonder if anyone has decided to use some plunger mod to fill up ballast bags in a real big hurry.

@trace did when he used his yamaha.

My thought was to also make the boat run smoother in chop. I was thinking the added weight would make it cut through the waves better. the river is big and becomes pretty rough with a little wind.

It is amazing how straight it goes on the trailer! HA! We pulled out to run to the gas station as there was no fuel on the lake were vacationing on. So I left our ballast full. It was cake to put on straight! My 12 year old did it, her first season on her new boaters permit. It was a nice confidence booster. I never told her the ballast was helping, and now she does it like a pro all the time.

Last edited:
My pump fill and empty go in/out the same holes. My overflow goes out the bilge hole.

Today I was thinking about how long it takes to fill up 1600# of ballast and I got to thinking about these huge water pumps that are attached to my boat to make it go vroom. I wonder if anyone has decided to use some plunger mod to fill up ballast bags in a real big hurry.

This is an interesting idea, maybe we could order the nozzle and parts necessary to recreate the "Jet Wash" system on the new center consoles.

I have the Sumo Sacs (800# ones) and the one on the transom i just unscrew the plugs and let it drain out while i pump out the one under the port seat.

Filling them only takes a few minutes and now that I put a 12V outlet on the port side near the speakers its a snap to use. Get a good pump you will not be sorry.

@trace did when he used his yamaha.

I read that thread from @trace a long time ago. I don't remember how long it took him to fill the ballasts, but I remember that it was crazy fast.

4 1/2 minutes to fill 2500 lbs of water, but you had to connect the hoses each time and then put them away. It was Hella fast. But the next year I added a huge Rule pump so I could make it push button easy, the time went to 8 minutes, but I didn't have to connect and disconnect hoses, so much easier.

Back