• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Got my ass kicked

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We anchor over in our normal cover with 2 other boats that are 26' and 27' long. About an hour or so goes by and my wife looks south and says, wow that cloud looks pretty dark over there.

First mistake, I let my friend look at the radar and report that it's a small cell and looks like it is going to miss us. This guy, bless his heart is always hopelessly optimistic. I should have known better. So we continue to hang out when all of the sudden it starts pouring. And I mean big fat raindrops like Forrest Gump talked about. Then the straight line winds hit. I swear the winds kicked up to 40-50 mph. I immediately started grabbing ski vests and required everyone to put on a vest and sinch it down. I unsecured the back bimini poles to pitch the bimini forward to try and shield us from the rain, but then the anchor let go and we started drifting so the boats turned broad side to the wind. The bimini is of absolutely no use to a side 40 mph wind! My buddy had the center boat and the only anchor. He uses one of those big Fortress Aluminum anchors that I believe is rated for about a 40' boat. It still was not holding all three boats, so we walked out on the bow of his boat and tried to let out more rope. This was impossible because there was to much tension on the rope that was used to tie up the boat on his port side. Lesson here is don't share a cleat with a boat line and an anchor line. If one is on top of the other it is a problem either way. I use the bow hook for an anchor attachment point, but this boat is not good for that due to the enclosed front cabin and not being able to reach over the front of the boat and get to the bow hook.

So we were slowly drfting out of the cove with the anchor catching intermittently. I would say the visibility from the down pour and the wind was about 50-100'. So we are huddled in our boat down on the floor and then a large gust hits the side of my boat. I was on the windward side of the storm. It literally lifted the side of the boat up what felt like a foot or so and tilted us toward my buddies boat in the middle. It may have been a combination of the swells with the wind but it freaked me out! At this point I started thinking, now I understand the news stories of the drowning victims when their boat capsized in a storm. I believe we had the potential to capsize in this storm had we not been tied up to the other boats.

I look aft and a can see the courtesy dock of Westlake park coming into view. It's OOC because the whole park is underwater and the ramp leading to it is underwater, but the dock is still there floating. We are drifting straight for the dock! I fire up my engines and turn hard right and give it about 25% or more throttle. I slowly turn all 3 boats and get us off the line that would drift us into the dock. I shut it down and then just hunker down.

It felt like the storm blew for about 20 minutes. In reality it was probably more like 10. Everything that did not go in the head storage was completely soaked, compartments filled, bilge pump kicking on about every 90 seconds.

A few people rode out the storm in my buddies cabin area in his Formula, but we could not traverse the swim decks with the blowing wind and rain safely, so my wife and kids just huddled on the carpet with towels over there heads.

I've been caught in some good wind storms, and a few of them we had time to separate the boats and drft apart and ride out the storm seperatley. This one came so fast and went from calm to blowing so fast there was not time to batten down the hatches. Could have maybe cut loose with a knife, but there was no danger of running a ground so we decided to ride it out together.

I'm not even sure a weather radio could have given us warning on this one. When we left the lake you could tell it had barely rained about 2 miles from where we were, so the storm was very small and isolated, it just happen to hit us dead center I guess. All I know is it kicked out assess! Had to take everything out of the boat to dry when we got back to the marina, including carpet.

That sounds like it must have been really scary! Glad everybody is ok.

Da-ham!! How big was the cove/lake you were in? The capsizing comment has me curious. I cant imagine being is a storm like that. Wind , waves ??

Sounds like everyone handled it well and properly. Glad noone was hurt!

Jeez, nightmare outing. Glad all ok, hope it didn't scare the family too much and put them off boating.

The family were good sports about it. My girls are 15 and 16. The wife was giving me some not so good looks but it was fine. We were very lucky there wasn't the intense lightening that Normaly accompanies these storms. I attached a sat view of the cove. Keep in mind the elevation of the water is about 16' higher than that pic shows. The point and park on the right are all underwater and the courtesy dock at the end of the point was the dock we were getting pushed into. No land just the dockimage.jpg

@BigN8 , that's a crazy story. I am glad everyone was alright and you have probably helped a bunch of us by sharing your experience.

What a story! Glad you are ok!

Glad everything turned out ok.
I got caught out in a nasty storm last summer - probably no where's as intense as yours - but scary enough for me. Torrential rain and wind snuck up on us out of nowhere and scared the shit out of me. Very scary moment.

Thanks guys. I've been in some hairy stuff before but this one spooked me good. Don't think we suffered any damage that I can tell.

On the bright side it was a very natural way to give the boat a good wipe down! Especially since the water is shutoff to our docks due to high water!

Last edited:
That could have ended much worse. Not fun to be in a bad situation, even worse with family there that you can't fully protect. Glad all of y'all are okay!!

lol, glad he is ok, but maybe something got shorted out with the water, he is thinking with the wrong head again.

Glad you are fine, if understandably freaked! But thanks for the post which I think contains some significant reminders for us all:
1) At first sign of trouble, life jackets for all.
2) Separate lines on separate cleats/hooks.
3) In high wind/waves, everyone to the middle floor of the boat.
4) Even at that, keep a lookout.

I know it was not pleasant at all, but congratulations on all the things you did RIGHT to pull you and your crew through that safely. Well done. I hope when I have an emergency like that, I can perform as well as that (other than the autocorrect).

Wow glad all ok good job . Little story every boat that I have purchased I always got the ok from my better half if boat could go faster then the boat we had so we could out run a storm coming thru the mountains . Four boats later my Yamaha . PS haven't been in storm since three boats back. I watch radar better. Hey guys please don't tell my wife easy sell.

@BigN8 ... Wow ! Glad things turned out well. Can't imagine being "caught" like that. Story well-worth sharing and glad you took the time. Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Mille Lacs, MN

Sounds like it was pretty crazy out there! Glad to hear you and friends/family are ok. Hate for it to have turned out like it did for these guys....
gilligans-island-facts-ftr.jpg

Did Ginger really look that rough? That photo spoiled my memory.

ha, it's seeing them in Hi Res color vs black and white and a 12" screen. at least that is what my memories are from!!

Back