• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got to love the In-laws

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Took the wife's family out for a weekend on the lake. They wanted to learn how to wakeboard and in the process scuffed the crap out of my swimdeck. See picture for a couple examples of the red and black marks. Instead of a sorry I got "oh that will just buff right out." Ugh. In-laws can be so frustrating. Anyway, does anyone have any tips for getting these marks off. Thank you!20180827_091011.jpg

Magic eraser will work on a lot of those types of smudges. Just don't press too hard on the finish as it is mildly abrasive.

Only way I'd give them a pass on that is if were blood.

I had some scuffs like that that came with the boat from the dealer, thought they were permanent, used meguiars cleaner wax, and a buffer and they all came right out right away.

2nd magic eraser. I would always use the magic eraser for similar scuffs from my wife and daughters toenail polish. I would get little red scuffs all over. Took me forever to figure out where they were coming from.

I’ve had marks like that on my swim deck and I got them off just with basic car carnuba wax and a microfiber towel and then rub it with some elbow grease on each spot and came off very easily. Good luck

Agreed...light magic eraser and gentle elbow grease.

Were these putting the boards on or taking them off? When new people are on the boat putting on the boards, I always carefully coach them on how to do it and to watch the board so they don't scratch the boat. I also keep a spray bottle with a little dish soap handy as a few sprays into the boots will help put a foot into them. I also say, "when you're done, remove the board while you're waiting for the boat to come around and pick you up as it's easier to do so when you're away from the boat." Now it's like second nature to my crew the they always have the board off before the boat is even close to them.

Gonna sound crazy, but my best kept secret for removing ANY marks on the the boat (scuffs, nail polish, rubber marks, virtually any scuff)..... drum roll please..... Whitening Toothpaste. Works like a charm, polishes and smells good too! Shhhhh don't tell everybody!

Try it yourself and you will be amazed!

Agreed...light magic eraser and gentle elbow grease.

Were these putting the boards on or taking them off? When new people are on the boat putting on the boards, I always carefully coach them on how to do it and to watch the board so they don't scratch the boat. I also keep a spray bottle with a little dish soap handy as a few sprays into the boots will help put a foot into them. I also say, "when you're done, remove the board while you're waiting for the boat to come around and pick you up as it's easier to do so when you're away from the boat." Now it's like second nature to my crew the they always have the board off before the boat is even close to them.

This was from them putting the board on and then jumping into the water with it on but hitting the boat every time they jumped in. Broke my heart a little bit each time, but I was trying so hard not to be a jerk about it. Thanks for the tips!

I was able to get about 95% of them off with the magic eraser. I'll try some of the other ideas to get the rest of it. Thanks for all the great ideas guys!

Use a cleaner wax. It should come out with some elbow grease.

Have you tried some Colonel Brassy?
Worked great when my aunt (who's an avid sailor) wore non-boat soled shoes aboard my Bennie.
And was my ONLY saving grace when the kiddo wanted to try his hand at the bow anchor and instead ran the galvanized chain over my fiberglass. :banghead:
shopping

Amazon.com: Colonel Brassy Surface Cleaner: Automotive

The difference between IN LAWS and OUTLAWS is, ............................................................................................OUTLAWS are wanted.

Before you use anything abrasive, try some nail polish remover. It's pretty amazing what it will take off.

Before you use anything abrasive, try some nail polish remover. It's pretty amazing what it will take off.

I am by no means a fiberglass expert but won't nail polish also remove the protective finish on our boats as well as any smudges?

I am by no means a fiberglass expert but won't nail polish also remove the protective finish on our boats as well as any smudges?
Good point. It would. However, there is NONE to start with, lol!
These hulls (brand new) suck wax like they are insatiable!
So, I would say - definitely wax after nail polish cleanup (acetone).

--

To clarify, I use non-acetone nail polish remover. Yes, you need to wax the area again afterward. Magic eraser will not only remove the wax, but a bit of the actual gelcoat beneath it. Be careful with those. Cleaner wax is always a good starting point, too!

Back