• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Greasing trailer bearings

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So never done this my boat trailer has the easy grease system with the jerk outside the bearing. How much grease do I add and what kind?

I use store brand marine grease from Walmart. I carry a small grease gun with me on the tow back and forth to Fort Lauderdale. It is long enough that I add grease on the way back or soon after I get home.

Last edited:
So never done this my boat trailer has the easy grease system with the jerk outside the bearing. How much grease do I add and what kind?
I use a good waterproof bearing grease, this is what I like http://www.amazon.com/Green-Grease-203-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B004Y0788O, I got mine at AutoZone.

As for the amount I never put more than a couple pumps in each bearing. If I don't when the last time the bearings were greased, I put a couple of pumps in then after a few uses of the trailer I put a couple more pumps in and then after that then only once a year I will put in a couple of pumps.

Must the trailer be lifted to do this or can I move the trailer slowly on the ground to get the same effect?

Must the trailer be lifted to do this or can I move the trailer slowly on the ground to get the same effect?

I must have linked to the wrong video. You should have some sort of Bearing Buddy like device on your axles. They are spring loaded and push the grease through the bearing. All you have to do is make sure it has grease. You can tell the grease level by looking at the inner piece with the zerk. It will be out when it has grease to push into the bearing.

Here is a short install video where they quickly fill one with grease.

I keep a grease gun in my trailer box as well as some paper towels for checking the bearings. I use a good waterproof grease in it as well.

Good video as it shows the proper amount of grease in the bearing buddies. The type with the blue ring make it easy to check for the proper amount of grease. If you don't have those blue rings, you can still tell when you have enough grease...just watch for when the spring begins to collapse.

On another note, the guy at the trailer shop gave me some good advice a couple of years ago that I always follow now. Essentially water will flow into a space with a negative pressure difference and the bearing buddy keeps positive pressure on your bearings and thus water out of the bearings. The guy at the trailer shop suggested checking the bearing buddies pre-launch after you've towed the boat for a while. the idea is to make sure there's no negative space in there before dunking your hubs into that relatively cold water.

Enjoy!

All right just pick my boat up from the shop after getting new tires put on got back to my storage area started to pull the dust caps off and I have the metal filler bigger issue now there is one of the wheels hub rim everything is really hot. Does that sound like a bearing issue or does it sound like the break was stuck on that wheel ?

You could Jack it up and see if the wheel spins freely or if it wobbles at all

Ugh just frustrating I'm supposed to be towing up to the Lake House in the Morning. I guess I will have to see if I can get it raised up in the morning and see if the wheel spins free. I did back it in to the space with out the brake lock out on but I dought it would heat up that much in a 20 foot back up. All 3 other hubs were cool to the touch.

Back