• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Grey Mooring Cover - Watertight?

Rideitout

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does anyone have this cover and, if so, does it keep the rain out? My boat lives in a garage but when it is outside (beach vacation, camping, etc.) I use the original shipping cover. The shipping cover is watertight except for around the rear waketower/hull connection and I was considering this cover instead. Thanks!

image.jpg

Last edited:
20150711_162753_zps7hai8nir.jpg

I have that one. We've had a few wicked storms here the last 2 weeks and its done well keeping water out. The water sheds right off the surface, but around the front tower legs it does leak in. It seems to need some type of cone to cover the pole to cover points.

I have the same on my '08 212X. It works, but it does let water leak in at the tower poles. I haven't addressed that yet, but I'm sure I can rig a solution (like a soccer cone at the base or smthng). I just take all the seats out so I don't have to worry about it much... I don't really want them baking in Florida temps anyway.

@smthng , that's a good point you brought up. Is it bad for the vinyl seats to be exposed to high Temps even if not in direct sunlight?

I have no idea, but I figure it can't be helpful. o_O

For me, removing the seats stops water from pooling under them due to the water from the tower poles. Getting them out of the heat is just a bonus, IMO. I've been under that cover on a hot day... it's basically cruel and unusual punishment. I'm probably going to rig some kind of venting soon.

I was hoping for ya'll to tell me it sucked so I wouldn't go and buy one!

Does anyone have any trailering experience with the gray cover as compared to the original white shipping cover? Do they tow the same with regard to billowing in the wind?

The grey cover is much better when towing that the shipping cover. The ratchets on the grey cover are towards the back and it helps keep the cover tighter on the sides. Like everyone else I have only had issues with water coming through around the tower. The water proofing kind of wears out after one year (still keeps water out, but the cover absorbs a little water) so I just cleaned mine, sprayed it with 303 Fabric Guard, and the thing is like new again. I will probably continue to do this every year. One 32oz bottle ($16 on Amazon) was good on coverage for me on my AR192.

On the 2015 it lets in way too much water IMO. Not worth the $700. It causes moisture to lock inside when it does not rain hence you get condensation and mold. I am not impressed

I have same boat (2014 AR210). Was using shipping cover for the 1st year. Recently replaced it with storage cover. Boat stored outside 24/7. Here's the difference between the two:

Shipping cover: If I put the shipping cover on the wet, clean boat then I had a wet, moldy boat full of random debri the next weekend.

Storage Cover: If I put grey storage cover on the wet, clean boat then I have a dry, clean boat the next weekend with no random debri.

The grey storage cover is much better at keeping water out (but not 100% watertight), plus it breathes to let water out, unlike the shipping cover which creates a moldy greenhouse. The shipping cover is a piece of crap in my opinion and I see why Yamaha tells the dealer to trash them when selling the boat. Others love the shipping cover for some reason. That's their opinion. My guess is the cover was free, so what's not to love. Maybe if only use it in a garage it is great, but for storage outdoors, the shipping cover is a piece of garbage (that's my opinion).

Also, I trailered the boat 230 miles round trip this weekend to Lake Waccamaw. Cover stayed put just fine.

I was hoping for ya'll to tell me it sucked so I wouldn't go and buy one!

Does anyone have any trailering experience with the gray cover as compared to the original white shipping cover? Do they tow the same with regard to billowing in the wind?

I trailered my boat 800 miles with the gray mooring/trailering cover with no issues. (I did cover all the webbing lines inside and the top of the windshield with pool noodles, and on top of the antipooling poles I stuck a foam life jacket to increase the surface area against the cover. I made sure everything was fit properly and snugged and had no issues.

20150625_083539_zpsvzpihlcd.jpg

I put my cover on last night as there was a late report of severe thunderstorms coming and when I did the boat was already drenched in dew. This morning i opened up the cover to let the boat breathe but it was dry already. There are 2 vents up top above the windshield area that allow moisture and air pressure (when towing) out. Its a nice cover. I cleaned it with wet and forget mold and mildew cleaner, and now just need to reseal it. Ill be looking for the 303 fabric guard

Thanks guys. Before I started keeping my boat in the garage, I would leave it outside under the shipping cover. I would scratch my head wondering how leaves and other debris would get in there.

Back