• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Grilling fish on the boat, what is your recipe?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been working on finding a combination of non perishable ingredients for grilling fish on the boat. The idea is to be able to keep all of the necessary supplies in the grill bag. I am grilling with a small Magma grill on the boat. I have tested on a Weber at home several times.

The current recipe is;

Place dry wood chips in a foil packet with holes cut in the top and place on the warming grill.
Spray fish filets with olive oil.
Sprinkle fish filets with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends Salmon.
Sprinkle fish filets with True Lime powder.
Place fish filets on fish / veggie tray on the grill once the wood chips start smoking.
Grill until the center of the thickest part of the filet is cooked. I use a fork to break off a piece for testing.

I have tested this with bass, crappie, bream and salmon. We have been testing various recipes as we prepare for Bimini. Adding the smoke really brought on the family support.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Smoke is a good enhancer @Bruce . But fish is delicate, especially some varieties, so don't use too much. I would love to hear how your doing it on a gas grill with effective but subtle effect. I think when I get the grill for the coach (and boat), I may use the wood pellets that are used in the pellet grills. You certainly don't need much smoke added to fish. They like to do Salmon on a cedar plank...I have had it and it is good, but I don't get the cedar part of it for smoke. Fruit woods generally product the best enhancement with fish as the nut woods are just too heavy. Your mileage may vary!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would love to hear how your doing it on a gas grill with effective but subtle effect
My home Weber has a smoke box with its own burner so it is easy to control. With the Magma the wood chips are cooking at the same temp as the fish. So I get the foil pack of wood chips hot enough to start smoking before adding the fish. The amount of smoke is controlled by the amount of chips that you add. You do not need to add many chips. Pellets might be a good solution for long cooking times.

I have been using apple chips as it is what I had on hand.

I have thought about trying to make or buy a smoker box. An alternate radiant plate with a wood chip holder would be perfect. But the aluminum foil pouch is the solution for now.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r, here are pictures of using a foil pack of wood chips on the Magma and the result of doing so. Normally I have placed the foil on the cooking surface. I placed it below this time. If you let it get too hot it will catch fire. I may use wet wood chips next time. You can see the smoke wafting up in the second picture.

IMG_0852.JPG IMG_0859.JPG IMG_0863.JPG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other