• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anybody surface/flush mounted some rod holders on thier Yamaha.?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking about surface/flush mounting some of these:

anybody done anything similar?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes I installed that model but with a 15 degree angle (some call it 75 degree) prior to the 2014 Bimini trip. Besides using them for rod holders I use mine for flap pole holder. I went with the slightly angled ones to get the rod/flag pole out away from the boat. Here is a link to the 4' flag poles I am using in my rod holders, http://www.boatingflagpoles.com/

This is the best picture I currently have of where I put the port rod holder, there is one in the same spot on the starboard side.
Rod Holder.jpg

Last edited:

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know @Ronnie has too. Maybe he can show you some pics.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here are a few pics of my rod holders and what I do with them (that just doesn't sound or read right). If you are thinking of installing one or more of these consider where you are going to put it carefully. the top of the mount is 2 or so inches across and 3 or so deep and the bottom protrudes about a foot down. I thought I had to go with angled ones in the bow, I was wrong. If you are going to use it to hold a bbq or filet table there are two magma mounts available. The offsetting mount as I call seems to be the one Yamaha sells on its site. I have the fixed mount and it works just fine but the offsetting mount would allow a YJB owner to mount their bbq on the stock table poles in the cockpit and on the stern. They are both about the same price $70ish.

Front 2.JPG
Cooking station open.JPG
Front 1.JPG

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So who actually fishes with them?
I never went fishing as a kid. My dad hated it. I hope to get into it this year for sure!
Course, I said that last year.... My local lake fish well... aren't edible. I want to fish for stuff I can EAT.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lol, not me but it is nice to have the option. I could put rod in one holder, bbq in the other and sit back in the bow to eat and fish at the same time. Is it really a sport if you can gain weight while you are doing it? We are on the catch and release program not just because we are advised not to eat more than two fish out of the river per month due to toxin (e.g. mercury) levels but because prepping fish to cook is a messy PITA. If you get into it don't forget to buy a fishing license if needed, the last thing anyone wants is to pay $500 to $1,500 for a fish they were going to release or could have bought at the grocery store for $10.

If you want need a mount for something thinner than fishing pole consider Magma's other bbq mount proucts, they are thinner but usually fixed.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We buy fishing liscense every year and waste the money.
Lake Michigan fish are good for eating, just gotta catch them!
Find the group and throw some hooks in and pull up Perch all day long - or so I'm told.
I wanna catch, filet, and eat right away. My uncle did that for us WAAAAY back in the day, and it was wonderful. Since he died, no one in my family fishes so I kinda lost that part of childhood.
I wanna do this for my kids as well as eat some dang good fish!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Speedling I have fished off my boat a few times. Completely for fun and just tossed the rod in the water to try and get a bite. I don't have rod holders, so I stand on the rear platform and try and not hit the wakeboard tower while casting. I too am trying to get into fishing more and hope to.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got my rod holders installed!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Michepe69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey-I'm so happy I saw this post as I'm ready to go on my first fishing trip on my 242LS. I would probably end up putting several of these probably in or around same locations where you put them. Would you mind sharing the width and angles you ot for each one? Also, I see you got all with caps, so I assuming the ones with drains are not reccomended-what brands would you recommend? Great pictures and set up you have! I will also be installing those grab handles by my anchor hatch. Thanks in advance for your help-Mike S.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine are flush mounted on the back either side. work great there, also used to mount fish cleaning table.20150607_111017.jpg 20150805_141256.jpg

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just don't let your "new to boating" buddy put gas in your boat. There's been many a story of someone unknowingly pumping 50 gallons of gas into a rod holder.

Upongame619

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here are a few pics of my rod holders and what I do with them (that just doesn't sound or read right). If you are thinking of installing one or more of these consider where you are going to put it carefully. the top of the mount is 2 or so inches across and 3 or so deep and the bottom protrudes about a foot down. I thought I had to go with angled ones in the bow, I was wrong. If you are going to use it to hold a bbq or filet table there are two magma mounts available. The offsetting mount as I call seems to be the one Yamaha sells on its site. I have the fixed mount and it works just fine but the offsetting mount would allow a YJB owner to mount their bbq on the stock table poles in the cockpit and on the stern. They are both about the same price $70ish.

View attachment 14466
View attachment 14464
View attachment 14465
What grill are you using?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What grill are you using?
It’s an off brand (Swiss) that I got new in package from Craigslist. I used to have a Coleman which was smaller and costs less than the mount. The Swiss is too big. If I had to do it over again I’d go for the low model magma model, the rectangular one no the round one since the level lock should work with it seemlessly/no need to drill your new grill or source the correct mounting screws.