• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Has anybody taken a 210 out on Lake Tahoe?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We love our 2011 SX210 - it has been great for us at our low elevation lake where we spend 99% of our boating time. That said, after spending an amazing day out on Tahoe with a group of buddies on a friend's Cobalt 220, I really would like to take my wife and three small kids out on a day excurion on Tahoe in our own boat this summer. I absolutely recognize that the performance will be significantly blunted at the altitude of Tahoe. I won't be pulling a tube or any boarders. Just looking to cruise fairly close to shore from the Keys over to Sunnyside then hit Emerald Bay on the way back for some swimming and relaxation. All I need is to be able to get up on plane and cruise at 25 mph or so with about 580 pounds of people on board, a full tank of fuel, normal supplies (life jackets, misc tools, etc.) and a cooler with enough snacks and drinks for the day. I don't need to go any faster than that, given how choppy the lake gets anyway and we won't be in a hurry. Has anybody here actually taken a 210 out on Tahoe?

I don't think you have much to worry about.
It's the Chop and Cold water that would keep me away....

I have had my 210 in Lake George, Champlain, and Winnipesaukee. Every now and then there were some larger waves to deal with, but overall was a lot of fun and wouldn't hesitate doing it again. I have read there is a fairly extensive cleaning process when launching at Tahoe.

Thanks for the responses. Are this high altitude lakes? That's my main concern - will I be able to run at a reasonable speed at that altitude. Yes, there's a rigorous process to get cleared for launch on Tahoe. It is a beautifully clear lake, though.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of using a 210 series on Tahoe. But I do recall some guys on YJBers that did note a significant power loss. I'm sure some of those guys will chime in here shortly.

The lakes in the northeast aren't very high in elevation and didn't rwLly notice a loss of power. I have also read that there is a power loss at high elevation but would still love to take the boat to Tahoe. Have heard it is an amazing lake.

It is beautiful. Here's a pic of the water I took when out on a friends boat. About 30 feet deep here.image.jpg

Wow, looks like the Caribbean :)

@OrangeTJ 's concern is elevation, not waves. Lake Tahoe will rob a boat of any performance...any boat. You can enjoy the lake I am sure, but I have no first hand experience with my Yamaha up there. I can tell you that I did run there once, and I was struggling! So I know the boat will. But it will run and if speed or pulling isn't a concern, I am told guys get around mid 30's for speed up there...but I do remember one individual saying he could not plane. Apologies for not having threads to reference, but I bet you have a great time, even if the speed is slow. And as mentioned, if the waves and big, your not going to go very fast anyway!

I have not boated in Tahoe yet, but it's on my short (bucket) list. I have taken my 140 hp (998 cc) and 160 hp (1,052 cc) mr1 powered waverunners to union reservoir where the elevation was over 6k feet. Both waverunners lost about 10 mph on the top end and acceleration was slower as well but I could still pull up and tow a wakeboarder with either. So high 40s was the max on the ho and high 30s was it for the non ho. One "benefit" is that all other boats except sail boats and rafts are equally effected.

Thanks everybody. I just want to go up there with confidence that I can get up on plane and cruise. A solid 25 mph would be fine, 30 would make me ecstatic.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of using a 210 series on Tahoe. But I do recall some guys on YJBers that did note a significant power loss. I'm sure some of those guys will chime in here shortly.

I was probably one of those guys, although not on Tahoe... we trailered with intent of launching on Tahoe, but red flags and small craft advisory for 3 days prevented that. We did launch in one of the other higher elevation reservoir lakes, and power loss was ridiculous. 30 mph was about max, and it took a while to get there... Oh, 06 SR210 model.

Back