• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone chemically removed the anodization on the intake grates?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking about removing the failing anodization then polishing or painting mine. The local sand blaster that I talked to worried that the process would make them rough. I have a rotary sander and a random orbital buffer that could come in handy but I would prefer to strip them chemically if possible.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the intake grate and ride plate is powder coated?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aircraft remover? It cuts powder coating.....

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use chemical stripper at work on aircraft, I bet it would take it right off.
I'll get the real name of it tomorrow.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce this stuff is no joke if you have never used it wear protection and use it sparingly. We used to use it to remove paint from rims that were powder coated on motorcycles then chrome polish them it didn't take much and in minutes the paint would just start flaking off.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also remove everything you plan to use this on from the boat do not attempt to do it with the grates on the boat and rinse and clean them well before reinstalling.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have a photo of them? Mine are either painted or powder coated too. Sand is not really a favorable media for blasting. The glass beads I used on all the jet pump parts removed the anodized finish (and the corrosion) without a discernible change to the surface texture.
IMG_0923.JPG
In my case, I just had them anodized again for a fresh skin of protection. Polishing would require regular upkeep and that seems like a tough area for regular elbow grease.