• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Heat and boat engines

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stupid question #101 - has anyone ever had any issues with boat engines overheating during the hottest part of the summer months? Down in Arizona where we vacation, it seems like it rarely gets above 110 at Lake Powell, but I know that down at Lake Havasu, they can get up near 120 during the summer. Just didn't know if those temps make it hard on a boat's engine any more so than would be on an automobile engine. Also, anybody have negative experiences with any of the ancillary systems/electronics on their boats at those temps?

We were down at Havasu one July when it was approaching 120 and had cans of pop that were stored outside exploding...........one can't help but think that things like fire extinguishers and propane cylinders become a bit dicey at that those temps as well. Those aren't directly related to the boat systems per se, but I can't imagine that type of heat would be beneficial either.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve been concerned with my touch screen, no issues yet, my phone will overheat and shut down in a matter of minutes in the Florida sun. I wouldn’t worry about fire extinguishers and propane unless it’s overfilled or damaged. I’ve been in some extremely hot vehicles, 150+ degree hot, never had issues with fire bottles or spray cans of lubricants and oils.

I think the engines themselves are fine, they operate at very temps even when it’s cold out, I would be more worried about electronics, amps, and aux equipment, and having enough ice for your beverages!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We do afternoons at the lake here in Phoenix a lot. No issues with anything in the short term. Probably terrible on everything over the long term.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve been concerned with my touch screen, no issues yet, my phone will overheat and shut down in a matter of minutes in the Florida sun. I wouldn’t worry about fire extinguishers and propane unless it’s overfilled or damaged. I’ve been in some extremely hot vehicles, 150+ degree hot, never had issues with fire bottles or spray cans of lubricants and oils.

I think the engines themselves are fine, they operate at very temps even when it’s cold out, I would be more worried about electronics, amps, and aux equipment, and having enough ice for your beverages!
I’ve never had a problem with the connext but ya my phone is toast right away. They should have put a little slot/tray in the dash where you can get your phone out of direct light but still be out for the driver.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve never had a problem with the connext but ya my phone is toast right away. They should have put a little slot/tray in the dash where you can get your phone out of direct light but still be out for the driver.
Luckily we typically head East in the morning to the sandbar so the phone is shaded, same going west to go home. I wrap my phone in my t shirt and stick it in the tray next to the drivers seat. I used my Ryobi inflator to blow air air through it the one day I left it in the holder and it overheated, no phone=no music!

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The answer to your phone is, 1 Ziploc bag, and place in the cooler on the very top of everything. Presumably the cooler has your rations for the day with ice or cold packs. I use mine for bluetooth music it generates it's own processor heat in addition to these 100+ SC temps we've been having.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The answer to your phone is, 1 Ziploc bag, and place in the cooler on the very top of everything. Presumably the cooler has your rations for the day with ice or cold packs. I use mine for bluetooth music it generates it's own processor heat in addition to these 100+ SC temps we've been having.
I don’t know how the Vortex systems are but it’s a pain in the ass to change music on the connext screen vs. just using the phone.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
My OE is Polk, and I normally just stream from my iPhone, which allows me to change music choices on Pandora, or IHeart with ease from the phone. I can change the music source from the main port head unit, the Medallion helm unit, or the transom remote without any issue. I have the Viper 1 in the helm, which is long discontinued, I am waiting for the Viper 2 to be delivered this week, Viper 1 is starting to delaminate behind the glass, so I am hoping it will work the same. Chaparral is now using JL Audio I see.