• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

@help blinking check engine lights

WOOSAB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat has been running great no issues then the check engine lights started flashing. I believe it was 9 flashes. I turned motors off check oil. Oil was a little low in 1 motor put oil in checked dip stick was at a good level started motors and no more blinking lights. This was wednesday night. Didnt think anything else about it put boat on water today started going no blinking lights. Stopped hungout started boat back up blinking lights again. 9 flashes. Anyone have any idea what 9 flashes mean? Guess im limp to dock and go home check oil level and plugs

InTooDeep

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had very similar symptoms before and it turned out it was just low voltage from the battery. Have you checked the charge on your battery? It would always happen to me after running WOT across the lake. When I would get to the marina and try to put it in no wake mode it wouldn't allow it. I would turn the motors off and start them right back up and the check engine lights would be gone and everything was normal. Now I charge my batteries and haven't had the problem since.

InTooDeep

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
........and looking at the link Andy just posted 19 is incorrect voltage.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If both check engine lights are flashing then low voltage seems very likely.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Happened to me once

Actually, a few times. Low battery.
I was running outlaw at night, leading the way back down the river with all my tower lights on so we didn't hit the notoriuos sandbars that pop up at night when the water level drops

Typically I get just outside the marina....when I slow down I get the blinky lights. Kind of a tradition by now I suppose :p

WOOSAB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After reading this and looking at codes i believe its low voltage. What in too deep described is exactly how it happened. Im out watee and loaded about to go home and play with it..
Thanks everyone

WOOSAB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You fellas are great i run 3 batteries in my boat and 2 of them were completely bad. Replaced all 3

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You fellas are great i run 3 batteries in my boat and 2 of them were completely bad. Replaced all 3
Get yourself a 3 bank charger if you don't have one already. Leave that charger plugged in while not using the boat and you'll never have an issue.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, might want to get a jump box. Great for the boat during the season, then to the truck or car for the rest of the year.

WOOSAB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took boat out Saturday to texoma no problems all day. Ran it pulled kids in floats ect. End of the night both engines started flashing. It was about 1130pm then put the boat on trailer made my way back to dallas. Test both batteries this morning both showed half charge. Enough to start the boat. I unhooked the batteries so only the battery was attached then i put a load tester on it. When the battery starts the engine it isnt getting a charge from the motor. I would assume there is some sort of alternator or charging system on these boats. My question is do both motors have to be started for the charging system to work? Does each motor have its own separate charging system or do they work together. Also where is it located in the engine compartment? I believe i have a bad alternator and my boat is just running of straight battery while im on the lake.
Thanks
Guys

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They have staters not alternators. You should see an increase in voltage when either motor is started.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Almost sounds like your batteries need to be replaced. I would take them to the auto parts store and have them load tested.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
since all three batteries were just bought it could be they might be bad so it's always good to check,
our motors don't put out much of a charge to help the battery,
do you have an amp or any extra sound system that you use during the day? how long were you out for 6 hours or 12 hours?

WOOSAB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i took one battery out so I am only running 2 now. I also took both of those batteries to autozone and let them test the batteries both good. I put them on a quick charger and went to the lake it worked good. Was parked kids swimming for 3-4 hours and then on the way in the voltage code came back. The lights would flash and I couldn't put it into no wake mode. I shut motors down restarted and was able to go into no wake mode. Ran in no wake mode for 10-15min waiting for other boats to clear the ramp. Turned no wake mode off never flashed again. It seems to only happen after sitting for a while then running medium to high RPMs. I have aftermarket radio kenwood, and Jl speakers no amp or subs no extra lights nothing. I forgot my voltage meter while on the boat. Wanted to check it while actually moving. Last time just started in the garage and test and got no increase to the batter.