• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Me Decide...

Mstei001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I currently own a 2020 SX195. It was a Covid purchase and there were not a lot of options to pick from at the time, so we went with what we could get. Our family loves boating and we use the boat as much as possible during New England summers. We have several decent-sized lakes close to home, the CT River and Long Island Sound. We are looking to size up this year as our two boys are getting bigger and we would like to bring their friends and other families out with us. 6-8 persons. I cannot decide if a 222SE or XD would be better than an AR250 or 252S. Also, if anyone knows, feedback on the engine noise levels of our current boat to the new 22 or 25 models would be appreciated. - Thanks in advance.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Noise levels are subjective. Some indicate they are somewhat better others indicate they are similar. Go with the 25' boat more room.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That should work.
Still haven't heard a comparison to a 1.8 or if on a Supercharger with the new 1.9's.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you don't need a 3/4 ton truck to tow any yamaha. What you have is fine.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Will (JetBoat Pilot) did a great video last year comparing the 22’ and 25’ hulls:

Personally, I would almost always opt for the bigger boat. They did a great redesign on the 22”, but in sloppier weather I think you would appreciate the extra length. For my wife, the head on the 25’ would also be a plus.

Jim

Mstei001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will (JetBoat Pilot) did a great video last year comparing the 22’ and 25’ hulls:

Personally, I would almost always opt for the bigger boat. They did a great redesign on the 22”, but in sloppier weather I think you would appreciate the extra length. For my wife, the head on the 25’ would also be a plus.

Jim
Thank you. I watched these videos and thought they were great. What splits me is a higher feature boat on the 22 vs a lower feature 25. Is the 22SD with the paddles and all the finer touches a better way to go than a larger boat that does not have them? I mean, yeah the wife wants the extra space and the room for the potty, but I have to drive the thing and definitely wouldn't mind extra maneuverability around docks etc. Ugh decisions, decisions. LOL

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you don't need the extra stuff to drive them. With a bit of practice you do everything you need to.

Mfrench2025

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My friend has a 2022 AR250 and we have a 2023 222XD, which we got after trading in our 2011 AR210. So have a lot of experience behind the wheel without drive system. I don't think I could ever go back to not using it to be honest. The paddles are nice in tight maneuvering, but the other big difference is that the e-series boats are drive by wire. Using the throttles is much smoother and don't get the creep a lot of the cable boats have with throttle slipping down, which my friends AR suffers from and so did ours. You also have advantage of cruise control and ability to use one throttle to sync the motors rpms. I am no longer playing the dance of one motor being at 6000 rpm and the other at 6250. Materials wise there is a step up in the materials for the seats, along with full size connect screen and audio system.

Disadvantages I have found compared to the AR250 is the space as it feels bigger seat wise and you have a ton more storage. The fact you can put a porta pot on there if you have young kids is also nice. I personally wouldn't use it as it does feel very cramped and would probably add shelving and storage in there. On the Wake series boats you also loose a ton of storage next to the engine compartment as it has ballast bags on each side and so does the center locker. On the driver side console you also loose space as that where the pumps are for ballast, so we strap stuff down and put things in that wont hurt the pump.

If you don't want to surf a good compromise would be the 222sd. Has all the upgraded luxury features, but also a ton more storage as you don't have ballast bags taking up a bunch of storage. I would also factor what type of lake you are on, as on Lake Winnisquam we don't have a crazy chop and maybe get 2 foot swells on very bad days, but if we were on Lake Winnipesaukee were they easily see 3-5' i would want the bigger boat. The new 1.9s in the 24's look promising and probably have a higher top speed & little more efficient, but I have also seen some pretty crazy deals on left over 23's well below MSRP, if top speed isn't everything.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was aiming for AR250 and ended with 252SE. Do not regret that choice. SD would be nice but it was another $10k. I thought SE was an awesome compromise for me.
In the bay it is nice to be on bigger boat and that is why I went with 25.

If you are choosing between AR250 and 222SE and plan to use it mostly on lakes and river I would go for 222SE.
If you are choosing between 252SE and 222SE, I would pick 252SE :) Buy next second boat now.

Mstei001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was aiming for AR250 and ended with 252SE. Do not regret that choice. SD would be nice but it was another $10k. I thought SE was an awesome compromise for me.
In the bay it is nice to be on bigger boat and that is why I went with 25.

If you are choosing between AR250 and 222SE and plan to use it mostly on lakes and river I would go for 222SE.
If you are choosing between 252SE and 222SE, I would pick 252SE :) Buy next second boat now.
Thanks! Mostly lakes and River, with some near short trips in the sound. I plan to trailer because we like to mix it up and go to different lakes, parts of the river etc. The lake we go to the most is around 550 acres, which is definitely not huge. I also have to think about driveway space as during the season we will likely have it at the house. The 195SX was sweet as it fits in the garage but unfortunately, any bigger boat will not fit in there.

I thought I was closer to a decision after posting this thread. 222SE/SD, but for some reason, I still cannot get off the idea of the 252. Guess what will be, will be. Thanks for the feedback....